A Birthday to Remember

Today's the day, the young fox thought to himself, walking into his brother's room, who was still peacefully sleeping. It's been a tough year for him. I just want everything to be perfect today.

Tails were going to get him out of the house for the day, they were going to hang out and do cool birthday things, and when they arrived back at the house, Surprise! Massive surprise birthday party! Hopefully, this one would go better than the one when they were all sucked into the past...*

"Hey, Sonic?" Tails asked, the hedgehog beginning to stir. He hated having to wake him but he needed to get him out of the house.

A few moments later and they were out of the house, Tails sneakily tossing the keys behind him where a silent Rouge swept down and caught them.

"Ok, so. It's your Birthday. What do you wanna do?" Tails asked excitedly.
"Ugghhhhh..." Sonic thought a bit, "What about Breakfast? Donuts sounds good,"
"Donuts it is," Tails agreed and followed him down a few streets.

Meanwhile, back at the small house on Angel Island, a small party of people had gathered.
"Ok," Rouge announced, "We don't have all day, so let's do this! I, Cream and Tangle are in charge of putting decorations up, Vanilla and Amy are going to be in charge of food, and Vector's going to get some music ready. The rest of you just tidy up. I want this place looking spotless," she ordered, and everyone got to work.
"Oh, and keep Charmy away from the candy,"

Coming out of the Dunkin' Donuts, Sonic stretched a bit.
"What do you want to do now?" Tails was eager to hear what his brother wanted to do, and was ready to make sure that today truly was the best day of his life.
"I don't really know. I guess there's a new rollercoaster in Twinkle Park. That would be fun I guess. Just don't tell Amy we went there."
Laughing, Tails started to walk in that direction, "Sure. Although she knows now, so I wouldn't worry about it anymore,"

It didn't take any time at all to get there, with Sonic's speed and Tails' flight. Being world heroes, the two was able to get in for free. Just one of the ways Station Square thanked them for all their hard work.
Being a Thursday as well, the park was more or less empty, just a few odd people here and there. And a school trip.
So it didn't take long for them to get on the ride.

Unfortunately for them, it also broke down, right on the highest part, hanging over the big drop.
"Oh my goodness!" One person yelled,
"Is this a part of the ride?" Another asked.
"Oop," Sonic commented, turning back to the other riders, "it's ok y'all. It's just broken down. I'm sure they'll fix it. Right?"
An announcement over the speakers answered that question; "Unfortunately we can not get this ride working until everyone is off. Hold tight!"
"Ok. Welp. Just hang in there I guess?"

But to make matters worse, the seatbelts came loose, causing everyone besides Sonic and Tails to panic.
"Please, guys! Calm down! The fire service is on its way! If you keep rocking the carriages, then we'll be in real trouble!" Tails tried to calm everyone down, but it was no use.
Sonic then let out an ear-piercing whistle, and everyone turned to their hero, "Ok. Now that I have your attention, Tails was talking to you. Go ahead buddy,"
"Ahem. As I was saying, the fire service is on its way. Until then, try to stay calm..."
"Hey, isn't it your birthday today?" Someone interrupted, addressing Sonic.
"Yeah...? Why..?"
Everyone then started singing happy birthday, causing Sonic much embarrassment.

And then the fire service showed up, along with a few police cars. "At last! We're saved!" A few people cheered as they sent a ladder up, Sonic helping them get out of the seats and down the ladder.

"Well, that was unfortunate. I bet that's ruined your day now," Tails sighed, and Sonic laughed a bit.
"Are you kidding? Did you see that view?!"
Tails smiled. That was Sonic, always looking on the bright side.

"But after that, let's go to the park," Sonic suggested and Tails agreed, the two heading off.

Tails was aware that it was now time that they had agreed to start the party, "Ok, Sonic. I need to head back home, I need to... uhh... test the Tornado out...
Sonic?"
to his surprise, Sonic had walked straight over to someone sitting on the bench.
Someone familiar.

Eggman.

Even more to Tails' surprise, he sat down next to the villain.
"Hey,"
"Gah! Where did you come from? Doesn't matter. Happy Birthday I guess." Eggman grumbled.
He then waited a few more moments before continuing.

"You know, it's my birthday today as well,"
Shocked, Sonic gasped. He was not expecting that.
"Oh... I didn't know... Happy birthday!" Sonic told him, and the egg seemed to cheer up a bit before slumping back down, as Tails sat at the other side.
"Hey, I know you're constantly trying to kill my best friend, but what's up?"

"I miss my wife, Tails. I miss her a lot. And Agent Stone as well." He simply answered, before getting up. "Well, doesn't matter now! Gotta go back to my evil lair with the groceries."
"Oh, well, wait!" Come back with us! We can do... something..." Sonic shrugged, Tails smirking behind his back.
Hah! He's completely clueless this time!

"Oh, no no! That's fine! Besides, Orbot and Cubot work hard every year to throw a 'surprise party'. They don't know that I know..." he added, laughing.
"Ok then. Come on Sonic, we should get back." The three then departed.
"Hm." Sonic commented, "Me and Egghead share the same birthday. Who would have guessed?"

Looking out of a window, Rouge gasped, "They're on their way! Quick everyone! Battle stations!"
Coming into the house, Sonic knew what was about to go down. He just thought he'd let Tails have this one again.

Sure enough, everyone was hiding and when he walked in, everyone shouted, "SURPRISE!"
But he played along, pretending to be surprised.

They'd done an amazing job with the place, with bright banners and flags hanging from the ceiling, balloons placed in the corners along with presents, and of course, a massive birthday cake.
"Wow, guys! I had no idea! This looks amazing!" Sonic played along, not wanting any of them to be upset. They'd spent so long on it.

"Well, then! Let's get this party started!" Vector announced, turning on the speakers, almost accidentally deafening everyone.
"Whoops!" He shouted, turning it down.

They partied late into the night, Rouge and Shadow being last to leave, the bat being a bit tipsy.
"I'll make sure that she gets home safely," Shadow took her hand, guiding her towards the door.

"I'm bisexual and in love with you," Rouge suddenly announced, to no one in particular.
"Yeah, sure, whatever," Shadow mumbled, and the two left, Rouge wobbling a little.

Turning back into the house, it wasn't too messy. As people started leaving, they cleaned up their own trash.
"I'm going to head up to bed," Tails yawned.
"Yeah, same here," Sonic also said, following the fox up the stairs.
"Well, happy birthday Sonic. Glad that the Time-Eater didn't show up this time," Tails joked, and Sonic laughed, before the two went into their own rooms.
Getting into bed, Sonic couldn't help but think how lucky he was to have so many good friends.
"Wow, what a day,"

*Sonic Generations