Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Hot air hits her face, making her wrinkle her nose at the gross sensation and turn away. Still the noise of hard panting can be heard which turns to a heavy weight across her upper body when she tries to pull the sheet up over her ears.
"Roxie down," quiet but sternly commands a voice.

What time is it? Makayla reluctantly squints at the gloomy morning sunlight casting through the open room.
"Morning, chica."
As he takes a seat on the edge of the couch, it depresses at his weight. Twisting back she looks at him in confusion since not only is he awake and up but he's also dressed in workout clothes.

"Morning," she mumbles, sitting up to her elbows before remembering she's naked and pulling the blanket around under her armpits, "what's going on? What time is it?"

"Early. I'm going to take Roxie with me for a run."
She pulls a face at the thought of a run especially first thing in the morning. Surely, he doesn't expect her to go with him because no thanks.

"Oh."
"You can stay here baby," he chuckles, "sleep. I won't be more than an hour. The door's going to be locked and I'll take a key with me. Don't let anyone in, don't say anything if anyone knocks. Any problems, you call me, I'll have my phone on me."

"Okay sure," she readily agrees, slumping back onto the bed.
"Makayla I don't have to go if-"
"No, go. I'll be okay. I'm only going to sleep anyway," she reassures him.

She's feeling a lot better in the morning and much more ready to face her situation. There's no need for them to put their lives on hold. The only people who know where she is so far is her, Mateo and Aria. Besides, this is a man who strikes at night. A coward. He's not going to make a play for her so soon in the exposing light of day.

Giving Roxie a quick rub between her perked up ears, Makayla slumps back onto the bed. Mateo grins down at her, pushing away the curls that brush over her forehead and kissing her surprised lips.

She waits to hear the front door close and lock before curling up and falling asleep again.

**************

When she awakens again, it's to the faint sound of the shower running. The blankets are tight across her shoulders, likely because Roxie has taken vigil in Mateo's place. Although some watch dog she is because the poor pup has curled up and appears to be asleep.

Trying not to awake Roxie, Makayla blindly grabs the t-shirt on the floor beside the bed and drags it on. She swings herself out and makes her way over to put on a fresh pot of coffee. She may be ready to skip breakfast most mornings or at the very most grab a Clif bar but she definitely needs the caffeine.

Mateo and her move past each other in a morning routine that barely requires any communication. He exits the bathroom in just a towel, Makayla's barely awake brain imagining explicit scenarios at the very image of him. She's so lost in her daydream she only just catches him saying that he's laid a toothbrush out for her. While he disappears down the hall to his room, Makayla brushes her teeth and uses the unoccupied bathroom. With little other choice she dresses herself in yesterday's clothes, skipping the underwear since the thought of a yeast or other bacterial infection doesn't seem too appealing.

She'd been lucky to have been allowed to grab some toiletries from her bathroom, including her hair products and clips. The throbbing at her temple has all but gone which is surprising since it only occurred two night ago. Having not wrapped or tied her hair up last night, it's a crazy mess. Probably tangled and slightly damaged too. Too late to cry about it. She sorts as best she can, tying it into a high bun that's not pulled too tight in case her luck on the head injury runs out.