16 || Endless Knight

Song: Die For You - Remix

𝔚𝔚𝔚
Celina

There's chaos in most actions.

Some are chaotic on their own, while others are insignificant alone, but grouped together fuel a fire so big, catastrophe strikes.

Tonight, I find myself in the midst of a series of insignificant's.

The low rumble of the engine.

His steady breathing. His unwavering gaze.

The clanking of the tires on dirt road.

My angry breaths. My stubborn stare.

The white noise surrounding the space as the driver speeds into the endless night while his words, spoken mere moments ago, echo in my mind and sit heavy between us.

"You're a smart girl, you'll figure it out."

Wether he's mocking me, trying to distract me from the truth, or simply dangling it infront of me as bait to amuse himself, I don't know.

All I know is that I refuse to break away from this stare off first. Refuse to let him know that his freakishly uncomfortable tendency to maintain eye contact isn't scaring me away.

And when he breaks first, turning to glance ahead of us, I lean back in my seat, a satisfied smile making its way onto my face. "I am a smart girl." I echo, despite a whole two minutes passing since he'd spoken the words, they still reel in my mind.

"I was clearly lying." So effortlessly casual, Adrik faces ahead and pulls a pair of leather black gloves from his pocket.

I watch him, albeit in the dark through the shadows of light as he slowly slips them on over his hands. "If there was an ounce of intelligence behind those beady eyes, you'd be paying attention to our surroundings."

My smile slowly drops in unison with my gaze as it moves away from his perfect postured form to the dashboard clock before out onto the road. We'd been driving for nearly 2 hours, on a dirt road and so far away from civilization that the only sign of life comes in an old ratty Inn that we zoom by.

"Open all the windows." Adrik commands, while our driver looks about near shitting himself as he flickers his gaze to Adrik in the rear view mirror before nodding, lowering all the windows and gripping the steering wheel like it's his only source of strength.

I watch him closely, he's scared, nervous, and although I have no fucking clue what's going on, I know my night is far from over.

"For fucks sake." I sigh, leaning back into my seat while the man's to my left remain so unbothered it begins to annoy me. He's too calm, too composed. This ruse could very much be his doing. "The day I start taking advice from a psycho wearing leather gloves is the day I die."

Moonlight dances along the sharp shadows of his face as he pulls the seat belt over himself, remaining still, calm and composed, only turning to send me a sideways glance. "Suit yourself."

There's no time to react with what he does next. He reaches forward, wraps his hands around the drivers neck from behind and in a spilt second, snaps it to the side. While the small pop of his neck that's heard, acts as the catalyst to the chaos.