Sixteen

Blaise Beck-DayPast

Blaise Beck-Day
Past

I never thought I would be the kind of kid who would voluntarily roll around in the dirt for fun but I guess whenever you spent enough time with someone who teaches you the essence of life, you are compelled to do so.

Sixth grade had taught me many things. Like, how to prepare to be with the 'big people' in the high school when our junior high and senior high merged after sixth grade. It had also taught me that there was a heavier load of school work which meant less time with her after school.

I of course didn't know our times would be cut until after about two weeks. And it was two weeks too late because I already committed to football. So what little time I had with her, I grasped onto every minute of it.

Growing up and making sacrifices go hand in hand as my father would say.

Yesterday, I had to make one of those sacrifices.

God, I missed her science fair.

She was so excited for it. I stayed up with her for hours as she yawned and rubbed her eyes as she plastered a molding all around the soon-to-be exploding subject. She was so excited, and apparently, the idea of making sacrifices was on everyone's mind that day.

Nobody went to her science fair.

I would've gone if it weren't for football.

The treehouse squeaked, snapping me out of my thoughts. My eyes widened in alertness as she was crawling up to the top. She had broken her nose from her fall three weeks ago. Our first day of school was miserable for her, she had a black and blue face for a week, and her nose was the size of a blooming tulip.

The stars had just left the sky and daylight was breaking. It was time for a beautiful sunrise.

"Hey." I greeted her, startling her. She gasped as soon as she heard my voice. It saddened me to see how swollen her eyes were, not from her nose, but from her crying. She waved at me before walking over to me and sitting down next to me.

"Sleep well?" I asked.

She shrugged, not really saying much. I frowned while a deep sigh left my chest. "Sage," I muttered her name. She hummed as she messed with the brackets on her wrist. They were homemade, eco-friendly bracelets.