Chpt 8: The Radio

[Authors note: I have changed some of the plot line for this book which includes dates and scenarios etc. Just incase any of yee were confused]

I composed myself as i faked a smile whilst looking in the mirror. Through out my life i have found this quite helpful. Fake it til you make it, that is the saying right?

My stubbornness made me want to stay in my house and just watch tv so i could pretend everything was normal, but i knew that idea was dumb. I couldn't stay there.

I walked outside and saw a parked car. A wave of anger came over me as i saw Steve Harrington in the rear view mirror. I ignored him as i quickly walked past him.

His car slowly rode along side me as i continued to ignore him. "Look Hopper, would you just get in!?" he exclaimed. I kept my eyes ahead not making eye contact. "Joy, where are you going?!" he questioned angrily.

"Joy!" "Piss off Harrington" i said. "Are you seriously mad because i said Nancy was pretty and you weren't? Are you that petty princess?" he said. I rolled my eyes as i kept quiet.

"Okay look, i'm sorry, i didn't mean to be an asshole" he said. "Yea well, you've always been an asshole Harrington. I just realised you always will be" i said.

Steve exhaled. "I'm sorry for being an asshole" he said. I stayed quiet as i kept walking. "Would you just stop walking!" he exclaimed. At this point, i was beyond angry. I stopped in my tracks as Steve stopped the car.

I leaned down close to Steve's rolled down window. "Stay away from me Harrington" i said as i continued to walk. I saw Steve's expression fade quickly but i did not care.

As i was walking, i heard him open the glove compartment of his car as he searched for something. Suddenly, the radio began to play. Be My Baby by The Ronettes blared from the radio.

I slowly turned around in confusion. Steve slowly drove the car up next to me. "This is your favourite right?" he questioned. "How did you-".

"When i was going through your box full of disks. I took out this one and you started to bite your nails. You do that when your nervous. It was also scratched the most so that means you used it a lot" he said.

My mouth slightly fell open in shock. "I'm... Not that big of an asshole" he said with a smirk. I laughed softly as i was still in shock. "Now, would you please get in because Christmas finals are soon and all you've taught me is poetry" he said with laughter.

"And who's fault is that?" i said with a small smirk as i finally decided to get into the car. Steve laughed as he rolled his eyes. We went to his house and studied for a couple of hours.

I usually wouldn't have been so compliant, especially after what he said. But no one has ever paid that much attention to me before. No one knew my favourite song because no one cared to ask.

After we studied, we talked about the new star wars that had just come out. Steve didn't know what the hell i was talking about but he listened anyway. "Well, I best be going home" i said gathering up my books. "Oh... Yea, yea of course. I'll drop you home if you want" he said.

"No it's fine" i replied. We both stood up at the same time causing us to be inches apart. We made eye contact for a moment, both of us not knowing what to do. I stood back and laughed uncomfortably as Steve rubbed the back of his neck.

He walked me to the door as we stood there in uncomfortable silence. "Well, i'll see you soon?" Steve said breaking the silence. "Yea i'm free whenever" i said with a soft smile.

"Hey, thanks for helping me with everything. I couldn't have had a better tutor" he said with a sarcastic smile. "Yea well, i probably could have had a smarter student but... Oh well" i said with a chuckle.

Steve mimed a knife going through his heart as he pretend to be offended. I laughed at his gesture. "I'll see you soon, Jo" he said. "Jo? Really?" i questioned.

"Yea, it suits you" he said. "Never call me that again" i said walking away. "You got it Jo!" he shouted. I stuck my middle finger up as i walked down the drive. Steve just laughed as he closed the door.

When Steve shut the door, a moment of panic began to set in. I tried calling Joyce's house multiple times whilst i was at Steve's but there was no answer. I couldn't go home, i couldn't go to Joyce's... So there was one more option.

If three weeks ago you would have told me i'd be at Nancy Wheelers door, asking for a place to sleep, i would have laughed in your face. I knocked on the door and a young boy answered.

"Hey, is your sister there?" i asked. He looked at me up and down in confusion. "Oh... Yea sure" he said as he called out for Nancy.

When Nancy came to the door, she looked confused to see me. "Em... Can i... Stay here... Tonight?" i asked. "Yea... Of course" she said kindly.

I walked in and saw her brother, her dad, her mom and her baby sister all sitting at the table. They looked like the perfect family. I yearned to swap places with her.

"Mom do you mind if Joy stays the night?" she asked. "Joy? As in Joy Hopper? I thought she was a slu-" she began to say until i popped my head around the corner.

"Hey Mrs Wheeler" i said with a awkward smile. "Oh... Joy... Hi!" she exclaimed with an uncomfortable chuckle. "That's fine Nance".

I made my way up to her room and my eyes widened as i saw Johnathan sitting on her bed. "Oh... Hi" i said with a smirk. "Oh no! It's not like that!" Johnathan exclaimed.

I let out a loud laugh. "Jonathan's staying here because we're going to the hunting store in the morning" Nancy said closing the door.

"You haven't gone already?" i questioned. "We tried too but, well, my mom is kind of... Missing" Johnathan said. I let out a loud laugh causing both of their expressions to fade.

"No! I'm sorry. She not missing but i think she may be with my dad" i said. Johnathan became more and more confused. "What?" he questioned.

"The last time i saw him, he was with your mom. They're probably screwing or something" i said shrugging my shoulders. "Gross" he replied as he winced.

Nancy and i laughed hysterically at Johnathan. Maybe they weren't as bad as i thought. I always thought Johnathan was some what of a creep. And i always thought Nancy was just another stuck up bitch.

But... There not that bad. "Hey Nance, can i use your bathroom?" Johnathan asked. Nancy showed him to the toilet and shut the door. I gave her a smug smirk. "What?" she questioned with a chuckle.

"Okay, now, don't get me wrong. I know your with "Steve The Hair Harrington", but... Is it just me or is there something going on between you and Johnathan?" i asked. "What no!" Nancy exclaimed.

I put my hands up sarcastically in surrender. "I'm just saying, you don't let a guy in your room unless you want to hook up with him. That's a fact" i said.

"Or, it's just me trying to help a friend in need" Nancy replied as she awkwardly played with her fingers. "Whatever you say" i said trying to hold in my laugh.

Suddenly, Johnathan walked in causing both of us to go dead silent. "What?" he asked. "Nothing" we both said simultaneously causing us to both burst out laughing.

It was then i heard a sudden noise coming from Nancy's window. I looked up and saw nothing. I stared for a moment but since i couldn't see anything, i decided to ignore it.

It couldn't be that bad, right?