CHAPTER ONE: Heist

"In all my years, I've never met anyone as stupid as you. I just wanted you to know that."

Pausing the rim of my glass against my lips, I very nearly snorted my liquor all over the bar-top. 
"Aw, do you mean it, man? Shucks. Now I feel more confident in continuing my quest to be the King of the Idiots." Downing my drink, the burn trailing down my throat to settle in my guts, I stood up, slapping down some cash. 

"I've hardly known you a month and I already know your days are numbered, boy." The barkeep sighed, tossing his dish rag over his shoulder. "Now, I ain't one to care about the activity of petty little criminals like yer'self, but big time pirates? Yer madder than a cut snake, lad." 

Patting myself down to make sure I had everything I needed, I slung my backpack on and beamed, shifting my mask to sit back over my mouth and nose. 
"Ah, but you see, my good man, pirates have the best loot! Gold, artefacts, everything that could have me set for life! Well worth the risk, if you ask me. Besides…I'm a professional." 

Tipping my hat, I ignored the unimpressed look on the man's face and left, nodding to several of the sketchy looking regulars I had grown fond of over the past few weeks. 

I never stayed any place long. It wasn't possible when one such as myself had a bounty on their head. Twenty-five thousand berries. Not phenomenal, but it wasn't bad for a lone wolf. 

It had become apparent during my childhood that I was talented when it came to sneaking about. My brother's toys? Easily swiped and distributed to the neighbourhood kids whenever he picked on me. The local shipwright's tools? I'd had a nice stash of them under my bed until my parents had caught on. Food? I rarely paid for a morsel since I could walk. 

More than anything, it was a game to me. Nothing screamed fun more than seeing what I was capable of stealing. Nowadays, I never stole from people who would truly suffer if I did. That wasn't very enjoyable for me. Now, Marines on the other hand? Pirates and the elite? Prime pickins. 

That was exactly why I was headed to the eastern port. Earlier that day I had spotted some familiar faces from my collection of wanted posters, so I knew for a fact that there was a big-shot ship docked and ready to be swept clean. 

From the information I had gathered, both actively and just by hearing about it around the streets, they were considered rookies, though their bounties sang promises of a decent haul. The Kid Pirates were known for pillaging, after all. 

Their captain, Eustass 'Captain' Kid, was notorious for being a nasty piece of work, to put it as lightly as possible. Violent and merciless, the newspapers had warned, and his crew were no better. 

No measly article was going to phase me, though. I'd stolen from tougher pirates than him in the past and lived to tell the tales. My favourite to think back on was the time I had just casually walked away with an entire bag full of food and cash when the late Portgas D Ace had fallen asleep mid meal. 

Reaching the port, I couldn't miss the Victoria Punk in all its questionable glory. It was overkill, and pretty tacky, if I had to describe it. The dinosaur skull figurehead, if it could even be called that, was laughable. At least that was my personal opinion. 

It wasn't quite late enough to try anything, so I found myself a nice little spot behind some crates to go over my plan for the umpteenth time. Most of my crimes were committed in the spur of the moment, but I liked to be prepared when it came to people who had a higher chance of taking my life. 

"Okie dokie, let's see who we're dealing with tonight…" I spoke to myself, pulling out a wad of papers from my bag and spreading them out over the ground.