Seventy-Eight

[|]

"Why am I so bored?" I asked out loud, getting the attention of the duo playing video games in the living room.

"Come play with us," Axel said.

"Yeah," Lucas added in a distracted voice.

I grimaced at them before rolling my eyes. Another full week had gone by yet I was either waking up, going to sleep, eating, watching TV, and repeat. It was getting tiring. I had even started adding weight because I was overeating these days and being lazy. I was not used to this lifestyle. I was either out there working.

I gasped and dropped the chip in my hand. I smacked my hands clean and walked toward them. I stood in front of them, blocking the screen. They glared at me and tilted their heads, trying to look past me. They growled in unison and glared harder at me.

"Babe, get out of the way," Lucas demanded.

"No," I said and crossed my arms.

Axel scoffed and tossed the controller beside him. I smiled and faced Lucas.

"I have something to say," I said and stood closer to Lucas.

"What is it?"

"I want to start working again."

"Not happening," Lucas said and I got angry instantly.

"What's that suppose to mean?"

He saw my change of emotions and forced a smile on his face. He rose to his tall height and scratched the back of his neck.

"Jackie, I know you want to work and all but I don't like how you overstress yourself. Look, I know you are independent and that's fucking hot but I want to take care of you this time around. Please, Jackie. You don't need to work. I have enough money to take care of the both of us," he pleaded and tried to take my hands but I placed them on my waist.

"Lucas, I am not used to such. Almost all my life, I've been working to achieve everything I wanted. I know life has been hard for me these past few years it even got worse when I started college on my own. I still want to work, Lucas. I don't care if you are a billionaire or whatever, I still want to work to help. I don't want to sit at home, doing nothing. I don't feel too good about that sort of relationship," I said, standing firm on my decision.

Lucas opened his mouth to speak but shut it back with restlessness on his face. He pinched his nose and sighed then looked at me.

"Baby, I know. It's just... I hate seeing you stressed out. I know what you went through when you were cleaning Clark's house. You sometimes came home tired, hungry, and had muscle cramps. I don't want that happening to you. I want you to go to school without a worry in your head or mind. I want to provide for you while you focus on getting that certificate. Please."

Lucas grabbed my arms softly and pulled me closer to his body. I dropped my hands from my waist and peeked up at him from under my lashes. He sounded genuine and ready to take care of me but I didn't want to rely on a man for everything. I wanted to also work and earn my own money so I could help in my way. He may be earning higher than I am with his racing but I wanted to assist with my pennies.

"But—"

"No," he said, cutting me off. "Okay, let's make a deal." He stepped back and stretched out his hand for a handshake.