ham sandwiches, s.hrt (stranger things)

ham sandwiches

wc: 0.9k
g: fluff, bff2more
w: single steve lol

It's a pleasant surprise to see Steve Harrington striding into the hardware store with a small, cautious smile, looking almost bashful when his eyes can't seem to meet yours

"Greetings," You say, leaning forward behind the cashier counter and resting your jaw on your open palm. "Looking for anything?"

"Just a companion," Answers Steve, shrugging as he nonchalantly slides over the flat surface that you'd just wiped— you couldn't care less, anyway— and faces you. He holds up two squares covered in a thin layer of plastic foil, "I brought two sandwiches... by total accident, of course. Thought I'd come 'n give one to you and maybe while I'm here spend some time with you while I'm on my break, hm?"

"Robin wouldn't want it?" You cock a brow up at him, but take the sandwich he'd offered nonetheless. "Nah," The boy brushes off. "Apparently she doesn't like ham."

That's a lie. A big fat lie. Robin loves ham sandwiches, as a matter of fact, but Steve had brought two sandwiches deliberately to spend time with you. It's a win for the both of you, though, because he knows very well you barely have any time to buy a snack for yourself given that you're the only employee working next door to the Family Video Store.

"Oh, thanks then." You beam as you unwrap the foil. Sliding down against the side of the counter, you pat on the floor next to you, emitting a content hum when you take the first bite into the meal and press your knee against his when he settles next to you.

"How's business lately?" Your question is slightly muffled, courtesy of your mouthful of food, but Steve finds it a little funny and cute when you swipe a few crumbs off the corner of your mouth. "Eh, you know, it's a normal deserted Monday. Quite the hoard of patrons last Saturday, though,"

You suppress a smile, "The hoard being another chick looking to rent out a movie to watch with a date?"

Your best friend groans, squishing the bread of his sandwich between his clenching fingers as he obnoxiously leans all his body weight against you, "Please, spare me the teasing. Robin is bad enough as it is. I don't think I can handle yours."

Truth be told, Steve couldn't care less about said chicks and their dates. Ever since his epiphany and the lecture both Robin and Dustin had given him after he'd moped on about that date you'd gone out to, it was surprisingly easy to brush off everything else for the sake of doing anything related to you.

"Okay, okay. It's not like I'd want you dating any other person you come across anyway." You admit, pulling on a piece of lettuce that won't seem to break off despite your efforts in bitting. It's especially covered in the 'secret sauce' Steve had made, but you frankly wouldn't care if any got onto your uniform.

"I don't ask anyone out, L/N, I guess I'm just-" Steve stammers a little over his words, straining the air out of his throat in hopes that you wouldn't hear although you sit next to him, leg swung over his as you watch him find the right words. "I guess I've just been lonely lately."

Your lips are pursed a little as you adjust and sit up in your position. "I mean, if you put it that way..."

Steve watches (unintentionally hard) when you're a little in thought, tapping your half-eaten sandwich against your chin. There are still crumbs on your cheek that you'd failed to scrub off, and he resists the urge to do it for you because god what he'd give to just hold you.

"Being lonely isn't all that bad," Your eyes cast up to the ceiling lights of the hardware store that flickers a little. "when you've got someone to be lonely with."

Steve cracks out into a grin— a toothy, content one that only you can give him— and slowly brings up the ends of his fingers to swipe at the crumbed skin of your cheek. Seemingly startled (but not opposing), you turn to look at him, laying your sandwich on top of his that rests on your lap.

"How about this," Steve's breath tickles your skin and ignites shivers– good ones, like when you watch and enjoy an intense scene that's reaching the climax of your favorite movie. "You and me, we'll be lonely together around my place? Watch a movie? I swear I'll pick out a good one,"

You chuckle, closing your eyes in pure disbelief that Steve Harrington could be potentially, possibly, probably, perhaps, feasibly be asking you out.

"I'm free tomorrow night," You say in a nonchalant manner, though your chest beats in a racing pulse as you bring a slightly shaky hand up to take another bite out of that god-sent sandwich from a god-sent boy who'd just asked you out on a god-sent date.

Steve, inexplicably happy, stands up and leans down to take his sandwich from your lap, "I'll pick you up at 8." He plants his lips on your forehead, you can feel his smile against it, and releases with the most obnoxious and loud smooch noise you'd ever heard, which earns another chuckle from you.

"Don't be late," He says, climbing over the cashier counter.

"I won't,"

"I'll see you!"

"Thank you for the ham sandwich, Steve."

© hirokari, 2022

© hirokari, 2022