Chapter Thirty-One

Alessio had his fork raised and mouth open and ready for bite when his phone buzzed. He hesitated for a moment, considering which of the two was more important before lowering his fork. He dabbed a napkin to the side of his lips despite the fact that they hadn't been dirtied with a single bite yet and picked up the phone with his other hand. He sighed as he fumbled to unlock the phone with only one hand.

His eyes narrowed to slits. "Cameriere!" He called and raised a finger. A young lad in a white button up with a black vest hurried over to his side. "Our coats." He instructed without waiting for the boy to respond first.

(Waiter!)

"What? I've only taken like, two bites! " I motioned towards my plate as he stood up

"Pietro texted me." He said. The boy arrived back with our coats and he slipped his on quickly.

"What did he say?" I asked standing.

"Nothing specific. We have a problem, come heavy." He held my coat out to me and I slipped both arms in.

"Come heavy?" I repeated. I shrugged my coat into place.

"Armed." He explained and threw a stack of bills on the table. "Dai."

(Come on.)

I followed him quickly back to the car where he of course opened the door for me. Even in a moment of crisis keeping most composed. He jogged around the car to his side and sat down in the back with me.

"We've no time to drop you off, so I need you to swear you'll stay in the car." He said and glanced to the front seat which was shielded with the large black privacy divider. He pulled the door handle to ensure the doors were locked. He pursed his lips and then stuffed his hands into his coat pockets. I could see him moving his hands around in his pockets.

"You seem nervous." I never saw him nervous.

He pulled his hands out of his pockets and took his phone between them again.

I kept my gaze out the window as we road in silence until I heard him chuckle. I turned around to face him. "What's so funny?" I glanced to his phone and then back to him.

"They've really got me this time." He muttered with a shake of the head and an amused grin. He pushed the coat aside to dig into his pants pocket and pull out a knife.

"What are you-" I gasped when he came at me with it.

"Shhh." He hiss and nudged me forward. He plunged the knife into the back of our shared seat and tore it across the entire distance.

"Alessio!" I gasped. "This is an expensive car!" I hissed in a low voice. I didn't want poor Benji to know what Alessio was doing to the car he took so much pride in.

"Shut up." He whispered and pulled a rather large gun out of the decimated seat. He set the gun on the floor of the backseat.

"How the-" I muttered.

He put his hand over my mouth again to cut me off abruptly. "Don't scream." He pushed my legs apart with the hand that still held the knife and dove the knife in the seat between my legs. I didn't scream, I trusted Alessio for some ungodly reason but this was a bit much. I turned my head away and he let his hand fall away from my mouth and to the hole between my seat.

"Honestly Alessio." I muttered with a blush.

"Not how you envisioned my hands between your legs?" He asked. I turned my head back to him to glare at him for a few moments before he pulled a pistol from between my legs.

"Not exactly." I managed.

"Listen to me Katherine." He said in a rushed whisper. "This is important. Shoot anyone who comes here you? You understand that?" He said trying to pass the pistol discreetly to me.