iv. family dinner

CHAPTER IV:
family dinner

CHAPTER IV: family dinner

( June 1985 )

      THE MARTIN RESIDENCE HADN'T BEEN THE MOST ENTICING HOUSE FOR SOMEONE TO LIVE IN, IT WAS FAR FROM IT, BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP STEVE FROM LOOKING ALL AROUND LIKE A CHILD IN A CANDY SHOP

THE MARTIN RESIDENCE HADN'T BEEN THE MOST ENTICING HOUSE FOR SOMEONE TO LIVE IN, IT WAS FAR FROM IT, BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP STEVE FROM LOOKING ALL AROUND LIKE A CHILD IN A CANDY SHOP. Right Down The Line by Gerry Rafferty softly played from a radio that had an unknown location. The floors had been a pristinely polished wood with minor scratches due to the three children that had grown up in the house.

There had been a staircase to the left of the entrance, only about ten steps going up until meeting a landing then another three to the right, the banister seeming to be made of the same wood as the floor. The overall aura of the house was very warm and inviting towards Steve, and it made sense to him how Bea could've turned out the way she did from living in that welcoming environment. Sure, he knew she wasn't the most friendly person, but that didn't change the fact that a piece of the house had resonated within her somewhere.

"Steve, wait." Beatrice took hold of Steve's hand without realizing that she had after closing the door behind him. The boy ceased himself from following Bea's mother to gaze at her. "My family can be... a lot," she shyly said while looking down. That was when she realized she was holding his hand and she slipped hers out of his grasp.

      "Hey," Steve maneuvered his head lower to get into her line of vision, "mine is too." He shrugged assured. "Now how do I look? I want to look the part when I meet your family."

Bea's smile grew while she watched Steve move himself in front of a mirror hanging on the side of the staircase beneath the banister to fix his hair. Following him to the mirror, she stepped in front of him and lowered his hands and began moving strands of hair around to fit perfectly.

"There," she said, "perfect."

      Steve smiled down at her, his thoughts from the movie theater getting the best of him. "Beezus, hurry up!" Vera shouted for her sister.

      Blinking, Steve realized he must've seemed as though he were hypnotized by Bea's presence and cleared his throat. He put his arm around her shoulder while they walked out of the foyer, "come on, Beebs."