Chapter Thirty-Three: Stronzo for Dinner

LMFAOOO THE TITLE

SHORT CHAPTER, I FELT LIKE BEING DRAMATIC. I ALSO THINK IT'S BETTER FOR MY CREATIVITY TO 

It was Thursday night, and I was still struggling to study for this exam. 

The thought of seeing Lucius again tomorrow, his supposed day to pick me up, after our little fight, consumed my every thought. I felt so conflicted about this whole arrangement and all of the emotions I'd been feeling this entire week. Meeting his father and knowing Lucius and I planned on ending this whole thing within a year was nerve-wracking and made this situation feel much more real.

While my pasta bake that I'd slaved over was cooking in the oven, Mia, Nonna, and Gemma were watching a TV show in the living room. Papà was still traveling and kept texting me jokes if we'd burned the house down with her cookie baking yet. After checking on dinner in the oven, I decided to make myself a coffee to stay up and study. Pulling open the fridge, I reached back to get my normal oat milk creamer, when I smelled a familiar scent.

"Mi hai bloccato." You blocked me.

I gasped. Lucius was standing behind the fridge door when I closed it, his eyes razor sharp with anger. Papà was resting and definitely didn't know Lucius was here, which meant he'd come because of me.

I ripped my headphones out. My heart was pounding against my ribs, my defenses on full alert. "Hai mai sentito parlare di un campanello?" Ever hear of a doorbell?

Lucius' attention lingered on my bare legs, his jaw muscle twitching. "Che stile," he said. What style. He was being sarcastic, since I was wearing an super oversized red dark sweatshirt and my soft red plaid shorts underneath. While Lucius was dripping with money in a three-piece grey and black suit with a wool coat over it.

"Grzie mille, stronzo." Thanks a million, asshole.

That was when I saw the flowers on the kitchen tabletop. The bouquet had a wintry theme, and I knew they were from him by the way he was gauging my reaction. Instead of acknowledging the gift, I pretended it wasn't there.

Lucius made a grunting noise like he'd laughed humorlessly. The click of his dress shoes was like a shark looming around me. "Non apprezzo essere bloccato, Korinna." I don't appreciate being blocked, Korinna.

I could feel him watching me start to make my coffee. Why did he have to smell so damn good all the fucking time? The delicious scent of that aftershave or cologne, or whatever the hell was in his medicine cabinet when I was over his house, was driving my senses crazy.

Ignoring him was impossible. In my peripheral, he kept leaning his head to the side, like he was trying to get me to look at him. "Perché sei così arrabiata? Ti ho portato dei Fiori." Why are you so mad? I brought you flowers.

Unbelievable. Like that solved everything in an argument. Glancing at the flowers in a rage, I had the impulsive thought that they really were quite beautiful. "Un bellissimo spreco di denaro," I told him. A beautiful waste of money.

I went to move around him, but he stepped to the side and blocked his way, clicking his tongue. When he was this close, I could see the little imperfections in his face that I always overlooked. Like the smallest scar right above the one side of his beard. "Sei carino quando sei pazzo," he murmured. You're cute when you're mad.

I set my empty mug down in aggravation on the counter. Stepping into him, I growled in furious whisper, "Vai a casa." Go home. "Non voglio vedere la tua facia robust." I don't want to see your rugged face.