Chapter Eighty-Four: No Questions Asked

After waking everyone up, we all piled into Nancy's station wagon, with Dustin and Lucas in the trunk, and made our way to Victor Creel's house.

As we all climbed out of it, the first thing that I noticed was the rusted, overgrown Rocket Slide that I had seen Alice Creel playing on in Victor's memories. A chill went down my spine, as I felt that I had truly been here many years prior, and now I was standing in front of the abandoned wreckage where the Creel family spent their final moments.

We walked up the concrete steps onto the sidewalk, and Steve grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"Yeah, that's not creepy." He said. I nodded, unzipping the duffle bag and pulling out my fire axe.

The door was boarded up, so I used the axe to pry the nails out of the plywood so that we could access the front door. I instructed Steve to grab a hammer out of the bag as well and pull out the nails on the other side.

"So what exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this craphole?" Steve questioned.

"We're not entirely sure." I admitted. "We just know that this place is important to Vecna."

"Because you and Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" He questioned.

"Well that and the fact that Chrissy died here." I pointed out. "At least...somewhere made to look like here. I recognized it as soon as I saw it in Victor's memories."

"Great." He replied, rather unconvincingly.

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back, why he killed the Creels," Dustin explained, "And how to stop him before he comes back for Max, or potentially comes for Riley, who's easily his one of his biggest threats. And its not like she's exactly lacking in the trauma department."

"Yes, Dustin, thank you for that reassuring thought process." I said dryly, earning a concerned look from Steve.

"We don't think he's in here," Lucas questioned, "Do we?"

"Guess we'll find out." Max said. Steve looked at me as we each pulled out our last nails.

"Ready?" He asked. I nodded and we both pulled the plywood off, letting it fall onto the porch with a creaking thump, the breeze of it sending leaves and trash flying in every direction. I took a step back, my grip tightening on my axe handle as I saw the oh-so-familiar Rose stained glass window.

I turned around, looking at Max, who gave me a worried look. I nodded reassuringly as Steve tried to doorknob.

"Its locked," He reported, "Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"No need," We all looked over to see Robin with a brick in her hand, "I found a key." I shook my head.

"No, nope sorry, I can't let you do that in good conscious." I said, turning to face the door again.

"What? Why?" Steve questioned. I shrugged.

"Because...even if it is the secret lair of an evil wizard, this is a beautiful, one of a kind stained glass window. We can't just throw a rock through it." I pointed out. 

"Well then what do you suggest-"

I cut off his question by bringing the axe down on the opening edge of the door, busting the rusty lock and causing it to swing open of its own accord. Steve shrugged.

"Yeah, that's one way to do it I guess." I shrugged, shooting him a smile before pushing the door open all the way and leading the way in, with Steve not far behind me. He let out a low whistle, giving the others permission to follow.