Chapter 8

Chase and I decided to go to the shore for a walk. I was just silent while walking beside him. I noticed him being silent as well, it's like he's savoring the serenity of the place and doesn't want to start any conversation at all.

I suddenly became wary of myself. I might be taking too much of his time already, I even had the audacity to ask him to eat at an eatery with me. I forgot he's a busy man and has a life of his own. I just really wanted to thank him for what he has done for me today.

"Uhm, Chase, am I not taking too much of your time already?" I asked in the middle of our walk.

I looked at him and from looking straight ahead, he anchored his eyes at me.

"I won't be here if you are. I've been with you the whole day. Don't you think it's already late for you to realize that?" He chuckled.

I feel like a teenager feeling giddy every time he smiles at me. His smile was quite an alluring charm which set up a sexy curve on his face.

"I'm sorry. Up until now I'm just really awed at how you were comfortable in doing what you did today."

He anchored his eyes ahead on the road. The caramel shade of his orbs became more define and intense as the afternoon sun illuminate them. I wonder what foreign blood he has.

"It's not hard to chop those meats, Allison. All I had to know from you was what part those customers had wanted. Don't need a master's degree to know that."

I smiled. "I'm probably just amazed because I'm certain you are a very wealthy man. I'm not generalizing but most of the people in the elite class such as you, gets disgusted at the scene in marketplace and would not even dare do what you've done."

He shrugged his broad shoulders. "Guess I ain't one of them."

I did not bother to answer him and just remained silent. When we reach the shoreline I saw a street vendor who's selling cassava cake and sweet banana in a stick. I always buy from her because not only it's delicious but also because I know her foods are clean. I am just not sure if Chase eats this kind of foods.
I stopped in front of the vendor. She smiled at me, probably thinking I'm familiar to her. I looked at Chase. He's looking at the foods with intensity. The foods are placed on banana leaves above a small wooden table.

"Do you eat this kind of food?" I asked him, feeling shy I'm letting him eat street food.

He tilted his head, gaze at the delicacies and then glanced at me.

"Haven't tried any of them but I'm willing to."

I smiled at him, feeling relieved at what he said. I admire him more because I didn't even saw any form of disgust at where I brought him.

"Can we have two of that sweet banana on a stick please?" I told the vendor.

The bananas are still smoky like it just came out from the pan. When the vendor handed me the sticks, I immediately gave Chase one of it for him to try.

He stared at it for a little while before he decided to take a bite of it.

I watched him chew the food as I saw his protruding Adams apple move up and down. He seems satisfied, nodding his head while looking at the delicacy.

"It's good," he commented.

My smile widened at that. "Good thing you liked it."

"I'm not a picky eater. I'm just really unable to try these types of food. Glad that you're the first one who made me taste this kind."

I smiled lightly. We went to the breakwater to sit there. Behind us is the sea that's starting to look a bit orange due to the sun's reflection as it sets. I glanced at the spot where I met Azriel. I remember us going there every afternoon hoping his parents would come back for him. It was a pity sight for me until he finally got tired of probably hoping and we stopped going here.

The kid never talks about them anymore. If there are any questions I have about his parents, he just answers it right away and not expound further. I hope he won't grow up having a cold heart despite of what happened to him.

I'm still thinking of informing the authorities about his situation because I know it's illegal for me to continuously held him on our care especially at his age. What I'm more concerned was the fact he might think of himself as a burden if we decide to turn him over the authorities. He might think that we've grown tired of taking care of him and I don't want that, because it's not true. I would probably talk to him one of these days on that matter. I want him to decide for himself what he wants because I know that even at a young age, he would understand the situation.

"Just wait for me here. I'll just get the painting and give it to you." I said in the middle of the silence between us.

"I can drive you home, Allison. You don't have to go back here to hand me the painting. It would be a waste of your time."

"No, it's fine. Our house is actually near that it wouldn't take much time—"

"Still. I'll drop you home and that's final. Unless you don't want me to drive you home because someone might get upset and jealous? A boyfriend, perhaps?"

I pouted at that. "I don't have any boyfriend for your information. I just don't think it's proper for you to drop me home because we just met."

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. Am I being too fast?"

In what way is he being fast? I don't think so. It's just that we just met that why I'm not comfortable letting him drive me home. Our house is also just few blocks away from here so it's really not necessary for him to do so.

"No, it's not that. I'm just not used to someone driving me home, besides it's a bit awkward that you will drop me home just for the painting. Just wait for me here."

He nodded his head, face serious and dark before anchoring his eyes ahead of us.

"If that's what you want..."

My eyes blinked.

Why did his face suddenly become dark? Is he mad at me? Did I say something offensive to him?

"I-I'm sorry. I'm just really—"

"It's fine. I'll just wait here." He said dismissing what I'm about to say, not even looking at me.

I was left dumbfounded at what just happened. I ended up nodding my head even if he does not see me doing so. I looked away and bore my eyes into a far distance while continued eating my snack.

Silence lingered in the air. No one dared to speak and it's making me deaf. When I anchored my eyes at him, I saw him looking at his cellphone. He barely looked like a kind man right now. Like he is a different person. Far from the jolly person I was with earlier in the market.

He actually looks like someone who can create a deadly chaos in just a snap of his fingers.

"Fucking idiot." I heard him say, his jaw clenching.

"I-Is there any problem?" I asked not realizing I shouldn't have asked in the first place because he might think of me as a nosy person.

"None of your business."

I stiffened hearing those words from him. I know that his message was addressed for me even if he is not looking at me.

"S-Sorry."

That's what you get from asking too many questions, Tanya. It's not like you're close enough for him to tell you everything about him. Not because he helped you earlier doesn't give you the impression you're already close. That's not how it works.

"I have to go. Let's deal with your painting some other time." he uttered, his voice as hard as steel.

He then stood and walked away, leaving me dumbfounded and clueless of his sudden actions.