3

[Chapter three]

"What am I supposed to say to her?" Leilani stresses, her chocolate milkshake sitting on the table in front of her, practically abandoned.

Just like earlier that day, Clara-Grace watches silently, occasionally sipping her cookies and cream milkshake.

"What are you supposed to say to who?" The voice of Leilani's mother, Aurora, questions. Gray gives her a bright smile when she places down two burgers and a basket of fries.

"Nothing to no one." Leilani answers quickly.

"She's gonna dump Sarah." Gray tells Aurora, ignoring the glare Leilani shoots her and instead shoving a couple of fries in her mouth before rapidly blowing air out of her cheeks when she burns her tongue. "Thanks, Mrs. Davis."

"Sarah?" She repeats, turning to her daughter. "I thought you broke up with her last year?"

"No, mom." Leilani groans. "And I'm not breaking up with her."

"I don't like that girl."

Leilani groans yet again. "I know, mom."

"You should just date Gray. I like her."

Leilani snorts. "I wish I could."

"Unfortunately, I don't swing that way, Mrs. Davis." Gray answers with a crooked grin. "I'm flattered, though."

Aurora laughs before pointing a finger at the young girl, who she's come to see as a daughter in the last four years. "I told you to call me Aurora or Rory."

"Sorry, Mrs. Davis."

The older woman rolls her eyes and hides her smile. "Don't make me kick you."

"That's illegal, Mrs. Davis."

"Alright, you little shit." Aurora laughs, pushing Gray's head lightly. Gray chuckles as the bell above the door rings. Aurora looks over as two young men make their way inside. "That's my cue."

As soon as she walks away, Leilani snaps her head back around and glares at her friend. "I hate you."

Gray shrugs, eating more fries. "No you don't. You just admitted you wish you could date me."

"You are a little shit."

"You just realised?" Gray retorts, her eyes flickering over to the counter, where the two boys are ordering. "That's the guy that bumped into me this morning."

Leilani doesn't bother being subtle as she whips her whole body around to peer over the seat of the booth.

"Oo, they're cute!" She sings loudly, throwing herself back down in the booth when both of the men turn to look at her. She shoots a small grin at Gray, who gives her a disturbed look in return, due to her completely not-subtle actions a mere two seconds ago. "If I were straight—smash."

Clara-Grace snorts, dark eyes peering over the top of the booth on Leilani's side.

'The one that bumped into me is really attractive, but his friend...motherfucker could hit me with a car and I'd thank him.'

A kick to her shin breaks her out of her thoughts. She kicks the grinning girl right back.

"The one with the grey eyes, right?" Leilani's grin only widens when Clara-Grace nods in reply, going back to her basket of fries. "You should go for it."

The younger girl makes a sound, eyebrows furrowing in amusement and disbelief, and the corners of her lips quirking up. "What happened to, 'men ain't shit'?"