Bliss (Interlude)

bliss (interlude) •••

You've never felt so helpless.

The silver suit of armor that's always been such a comfort to you is streaked with blood; his or yours, you aren't sure. Your mind is moving faster than your body as you clutch his limp figure in your arms and check his weak pulse . You're breathing heavy, your widened gaze peering at the scarlet-stained gaps between his armor you've come to memorize over and over again. Flames lick all around you, but all you can focus on is him. Your heart shatters with each groan of pain and desperation that comes from the voice underneath the helmet.

"Rid'ika," Din pleas, his voice a hoarse whisper as his gloved hands reach for your shoulders. He's weakened from his wounds now as he lies in front of you.

You kneel there with his upper half in your arms, your mouth unable to produce any words as you watch him slip away. One hand grabs the lip of his helmet and tears it off, revealing the pair of brown eyes you've lost yourself in countless times before now full of fear and agony. Your throat continues to tighten more and more as Din gives your shoulders a gentle shake.

"Astra, please." Din's voice is still quiet, but it's louder than before.

Your chest constricts, but it doesn't make you move for help. Instead, you hold him tighter, resigning both him and yourself to a fate he hasn't even met yet. "I'm sorry," is all you can muster from your trembling lips. "I'm so sorry."

"Cyar'ika..." Din's voice fades for a moment and you think he's going to give up. A warm tear escapes one of your eyes despite the blankness stuck within your expression. As you tighten your grip around his weakened form, Din's hands lift from your shoulders to your face to take a firm grasp on it as he tries one more time, "Astra!"

It's with a quick breath that your eyes open and you see the image of your desperate, yet safe, husband above you. His hands are on your face just as they were in the dream—no, the nightmare—as his eyes search your own. Your hands wrap around Din's wrists to keep him where he is as your chest rises and falls in quick yet steady breaths.

"Hey." Din's voice is soft with his attempted smile, his thumb brushing away the stray tear that must've bled through your subconscious. "Are you okay?" His knuckles brush over your cheek. "You were calling for me."

You swallow hard and nod. You can't tear your gaze away from the peacefulness of his eyes, which are no longer filled with the fear and agony that have burned a horrid memory into your mind. "Yeah. I'm okay." You smile, a true and genuine smile, as you bring one of Din's wrists closer to you and seal your lips over his warm skin. "It's good to see you."

Din chuckles and allows the faintest pink to paint over his cheeks. "It's good to see you, too." He leans down to press a lingering kiss upon your forehead. The affectionate gesture already begins to calm your heart as the softness of his words do the same. "Ner kar'ta... ner riduur." Din lifts his head again and smiles at you with an admiration that leaves you breathless.

Despite the horrors that remain in your mind, you can't fight your own smile. It starts to fade as you lift your hand to his cheek and notice the exhaustion that hides within his brown eyes. "Sorry for waking you."

Din's quick to run his thumb over your lips. "You have nothing to be sorry for." He pauses and you can see the sweet light of relief in his gaze. "I'm just glad you're okay." Din raises his brow as he continues. "How many nights did you wake up for me while we were on Sorgan?"

You draw in a slow breath and avoid his gaze for a moment. "Well..." You search for a rebuttal and fail to find one.

Din rests his forehead upon yours to make you look at him again. "You're very strong, rid'ika. You don't have to keep proving it." He finishes with his lips brushing over yours. "You're safe with me." He kisses you, an achingly gentle motion that leaves you wanting more the moment he pulls away.