Chapter 3

Three
𖧷

Bianca makes a decision

  I was being held back from just going after Annabeth by her presence. She was denying my wishes, like I was being forbidden of jumping off the cliff and looking after her. I felt like I was grounded.

  "Mother," I said as I rose to face her smaller figure.

  Grover gasped at the word, he quickly kneeled down and started yammering, "Thank you, Lady Artemis! You're so… you're so… Wow!"

  "Grover," I called. "Stand up. There's more things you should be worried about."

  "Whoa," Bianca said. "Hold up. Time out."

  Everybody looked at her. She pointed her finger at all of us in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots. "Who… who are you people? Why are you all with–you?" Bianca pointed at me.

  "That's not important," I answered. "What's more important is who are both of you. Do you know who your parents are?"

  Bianca frowned at me. "(y/n), you know we're also orphans. We don't have parents. Our parents are dead. We just have a bank fund that–"

  She stopped. I guess she could that by the looks on our faces, we did not believe her.

  "What?" she demanded. "I'm telling the truth."

  "You are a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said. Her accent was hard to place. It sounded old-fashioned, like she was reading from a really old book. "One of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."

  "An Olympian… athlete?"

  "No Bianca. A god," I corrected.

  "Cool!" said Nico.

  "No!" Bianca's voice quavered. "This is not cool!"

  Nico danced around like he needed to use the restroom. Thing he always did when he got excited. "Does Zeus really have lightning bolts that do six hundred damage? Does he get extra movement points for—"

  "Nico," I glared. "Shut up."

  Bianca put her hands to her face. "This is not your stupid Mythomagic game, okay? There are no gods!"

  I scoffed lightly at how dumb new half-bloods could be. I had never stopped to think that this was exactly like how kids that just discovered they have parents look like. We both had something in common, we started with the stage of denial. She just needed to be convinced otherwise.

  I calmed down a little.

  "Bianca, trust me. I've been like that. The gods are still alive, they're immortal. If you give it just a little chance, you'll realize that." I looked back at my mother and frowned. "I also didn't believe it at first. The gods have kids, and those kids are like us. Like you. We have... dangerous lives."

  "Dangerous," Bianca said, "like the girl who fell."

  I frowned. My mother looked at me with a mournful look.

  "Do not despair for Annabeth," she said. "She was a brave maiden. If she can be found, I shall find her."

  I huffed. "You should be letting me look for her, then."