Chapter 59

"Jesus!" Eddie exclaimed the next morning, scrambling away from the door

"Delivery service," Dustin smiled.

"Freaky fast," Kim held out the grocery bags they had picked up on their way over from Steve's.

Eddie exhaled, his heart still pounding with fear and adrenaline. He took one of the bags from Kim and immediately tore into a box of cereal and started shoving it into his mouth.

"Okay, so we got, uh, some good news and some bad news," Dustin started to explain. "How do you prefer it?"

"Bad news first, always," Eddie said, mouth still full of Honey Comb cereal.

Steve looked on in disgust as Eddie clung to the box like it might run away and chugged a bottle of orange juice. He couldn't figure out why Kim would even want to be friends with someone like Eddie Munson. He was gross, and weird, and, like, a super senior who lived like a man child. Steve glanced at Kim – who was standing as far away from him as possible – to see if she was just as grossed out but she seemed indifferent. Steve did a double take when he realized Kim was wearing one of his old shirts under her signature leather jacket. Maybe it had been by accident (they had so many of each other's thing at their houses that both of them had kinda lost track of what originally belonged to who) but Steve was certain that at one point that Smiths tee shirt had belonged to him. It gave him a little hope that things really would work out between him and Kimmy.

"Alright, bad news," Dustin nodded. "We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you. Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy."

"Like, 100% kind of convinced," Max added.

Kim rolled her eyes. "Did no one teach you kids how to deliver bad news softly?"

Edddie looked at her. "And the good news?"

Robin answered before Kimmy could. "Your name hasn't gone public yet. But if we found out about you, it's a matter of time before others do too and once that get's out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you."

"Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie scoffed.

"Exactly," Robin nodded somblerly.

"Seriously, has no one heard of the term glass half full?" Kim muttered. "There is, like, zero optimism in this group."

Dustin quickly thought of a way to put a positive spin on things or at the very least give Eddie some hope to cling to. "So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence."

"That's all, Dustin?" Eddie said, clearly still very on edge. "That's all?"

He smiled and nodded. "Yeah, that's pretty much it."

"Listen, Eddie," Robin started. "I know everything Dustin's saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this kinda thing before. I mean, they have a few times, and I have once. Mine was more human-flesh-based and theirs was more smoke-related, but the bottom line is, collectively, I really feel we got this."