6: The curse.

Y/n's pov

"Shit, Dustin, what day is it?" I asked from beside him in the car.

"Uh, March 23rd I think." He replied.

I sighed, hoping Will's birthday present had made it to California on time.

The five of us got out of Steve's car, noticing Nancy talking to some police officers.

When she spotted us, her face was relieved and sort of bittersweet.

She gave Steve a curt wave, which he returned back.

——

Nancy, Robin, Steve, Dustin, Max and I sat at an old picnic table in the trailer park where Max lived and Chrissy was murdered.

We had been explaining to her what we knew, and in turn she told us about Fred.

"So you're saying that this thing that killed Fred and Chrissy, it's from the upside down?" Nancy asked.

"If the shoe fits." Steve sighed.

"Our working theory is that he attacks with a spell." Dustin said.

"Or a curse." I added.

"Now whether or not he's doing the bidding of the mind flayer or just loves killing teens, we don't know." Dustin said.

"Personally I'm rooting for the second option." I snarked, earning a light chuckle from Dustin.

"All we know is that this is something different." Max said. "Something new."

"It doesn't make sense." Nancy shook her head like she had had a day of her own.

"It's only a theory." Dustin shrugged.

"No. Fred and Chrissy don't make sense. I mean, why them?" Nancy asked.

"Well, they could have something in common to make Vecna choose to kill them, or you know, I could be way off." I said.

"Maybe they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time." Dustin suggested.

"They were both at the game." I said.

"And near the trailer park." Max looked at me in realization.

"We're at the trailer park." Steve said. "Uhh, should we maybe not be here..?"

Everyone looked around and Dustin grabbed my hand.

"I'm sure we'll be fine." I rubbed my thumb on the back of his hand.

"There is something about this place." Nancy said. "Fred started acting weird the sending we got here."

"Acting weird as in..?" Robin inquired.

"Scared? On edge, upset." Nancy recalled.

"Max said Chrissy was upset too." Dustin remembered.

"Yeah, you told us she was crying in the bathroom at school." I said.

"Yeah but that wasn't here." Max said.

"Serial killers stalk their pray before they strike, right?" Robin asked. "So maybe Fred and Chrissy saw this... Vecman-"

"Vecna." Dustin and I corrected.

"I don't know about you guys but if I saw some freaky wizard monster I would mention it to someone." Steve said.

"Maybe they did." Max said.

"I saw Chrissy leaving Mrs. Kelly's office." Max said.

"Fred was seeing her too, I bumped into him leaving her office one day on my way to get some Advil from her." I said.