Eight-Childhood Love Remembered 2.3

Tris

"What do you do? Take the train?" I question as we walk out of his apartment. I know the train makes the stop there at the gate.
"Some Dauntless can if they want. They just have to sign in with the gate for permission and walk the rest of the way," he explains locking his door. "I've seen Dauntless families there the past two years."
I grin in that he really does this every year.
We take the elevator down and the walk through the Pit slowly filling in with the weekend crowd loitering, shopping, and goofing off. I see Peter Hayes notice me with Eric and I sigh. I'm going to be hearing about whatever lamebrain thoughts are running through his delusional mind.
"I'll talk to him on Monday... unless you want me to do it now?" Eric mentions.
"Monday is fine," I say softly.
He leads me through the Pit to the parking garage. "Aren't we taking the train?" I question when I realize...
"Nah, I like to come and go as I please," he replies. "I go by my own schedule." I grin and that is exactly what I've always thought of him.
He grabs some keys from the attendant and opens a door to an armored truck for me. I blink in surprise and thank him for the kind gesture. He climbs in and drives us both to Amity. The drive is pleasant with companionable, lighthearted conversation. I realize I really do enjoy his company. I think I could even call Eric a friend... which is not something I ever would've expected during initiation. I find that both surprising and kind of wonderful actually getting to know him.
I do see the train arriving in the distance with some families getting off right after we're waved through the gate.
"You don't have to sign in?" I question.
"Nah, I've got my own personal leash," he says waving his phone at me. "If I'm needed or missing, someone will call. It also has a tracker so security always knows exactly where I am."
"That's both comforting and annoying at the same time," I mumble.
He chuckles, "My thoughts exactly."
We drive down the road lined with apple trees to the main compound at Amity to park. I honestly don't see many people here yet and it's kind of nice. Eric parks and we both climb out. I observe Johanna Reyes greeting people as they arrive.
"It's good to see you again, Eric," she smiles shaking his hand.
He replies a similar sentiment—friendly and kind.
"You're Andrew Prior's daughter, right?" she smiles addressing me and reaching out to shake my hand.
"That's right," I grin meeting her hand with mine. "I go by Tris now."
"That's a very fitting name for a Dauntless," she responds brightly.
I laugh lightly and thank her.
"You know, I remember years ago when you were here with your family, you used to have tree climbing competitions with an Erudite boy. When your parents noticed, you'd get scolded. But that didn't deter you two every year from participating. Your mother told me she just knew you'd go to Dauntless," she tells me reminiscently.
"Thank you for that," I say to her appreciatively.
We wave to her and get in line for apple picking. Eric pays for us both and we each get a small bag.
"Thank you," I tell him gently.
"No problem," he shrugs it off.
We walk to a quieter area of the orchard and I see the giant old tree I used to climb. I stand beneath it and look up.
"What do you think? Should we race for old times' sake?" Eric asks me and I see him at the neighboring tree. "You on your tree and me on mine."
I see that signature Dauntless smirk on his face and I remember how we used to play together. I had the biggest crush on him. He had those gorgeous blue eyes a shade darker than mine, cute curly blonde hair, and the most radiant smile.
"You always lost," I tease.
"That's because I was bigger than you and couldn't reach the top," he scoffs.
"Sure. Always making excuses," I joke.
He actually laughs at that and I see the smile I fell in love with as a child.
"On the count of three?" I question.
"Whatever you say, Little Stiff," he taunts playfully and my heart melts at the pet name.
"One.... Two.... Three!" I shout and I begin the climb. I don't pay attention to how he's doing and I focus on scaling this tree—the most perfect in all of the orchard for climbing. The bottom has always been the same—pruned just so but every year the top would be different.
"It's been eight years. The top has changed," he complains.
"It's always something with you, Nose," I giggle as I continue up through the smaller branches using it like a ladder or a staircase—hand over hand, bend the knees, duck under the branches and pull myself up. I've always been so sure footed on here—as if it was second nature. I get higher and the newer growth bends with my weight. "I think I'm as high as I can get," I tell him sitting on a swaying branch.
"Yeah, I can't get as high as I used to. I broke a branch," he grins at me from about halfway up. "I think I weigh too much."
I chuckle at him all the way down there.
"Race you down?" I ask.
He sighs, "I think I'm going to make an Amity lose their temper if I destroy this tree anymore."
"Well... at least you're halfway down," I smile. "I'm coming down now."
I begin my descent and I hear a branch creak on the other tree from under his weight. I frown at him. Maybe he is just too big for this kind of thing anymore. It definitely was the highlight of my year—every year growing up... until they stopped coming. I make it down and Eric meets me at about the same time.
"Of course you won, Queen Bea," he grins.
I chuckle bashfully at the nickname and meet my eyes with his.
"Come on," he encourages me to pick some apples. "Which kind do you want?"
"A little of everything," I shrug with a smile on my face.
"Alright," he grins.
We walk though the orchard picking the best-looking apples from every variety of tree. Somehow Eric always sees one he wants that's just out of reach and he makes me go get it by climbing the tree—either that or he picks me up and has me pick it for him. He does have the best taste in apples though, a good eye for the perfect ones. We sit leaning side by side against a larger shade tree eating an apple each while an Erudite family passes us by—a husband, wife, and a daughter. The man lifts up the little girl and lets her pick the one she wants. She giggles and sets it in their bag before they move on.
"Do you have room for any more?" Eric asks me.
"A little bit," I nod. "You?"
"I could get a couple more," he nods. "You ready?" he asks me discarding his core and rising, reaching for my hands. I take his offered hand and he pulls me to standing. He holds on just a little longer before releasing me.
We stroll through the orchard extending our time here, selecting our fill of apples. When our bags can't hold anymore, we start walking back toward his truck.
"Do you want to stay here for lunch or go back to Dauntless?" he asks me.
My eyes snap to meet his. "Is that allowed?" I question.
"Sure," he shrugs. "My sister and I would eat here sometimes. They don't mind."
"Really?" I ask surprised. He nods. "I've never eaten at Amity before."
"It's mostly health food but it's decent. Just avoid the additional bread. I didn't know growing up that they put peace serum in it. If I'd known, I never would have eaten it," he tells me.
I nod even though I didn't know that either. We set the apples in his trunk and walk inside the dome to join them for lunch. There are a few people from other factions and the Amity seem glad to have the visitors join them. We eat the food and he's right—it's incredibly healthy, delicious, and interesting. I'm definitely enjoying the experience. We chat with that Erudite family we saw earlier and it turns out Eric actually knows them. He apparently played baseball with the man growing up. The girl is pretty—very intelligent but also extremely kind and friendly. The little girl is slightly over a year old and looks just like her mother. I catch Eric whispering with his old friend and they both glance at me. I smile in reply. We wave goodbye when they leave.
Afterward, Eric offers to take me to his grandmother's cottage at the pond. Having never gone growing up, I jump at the opportunity. We drive around the fence and I see the forest in the distance. It's so beautiful. We arrive and I'm in complete awe at how magnificent it looks. I've only ever seen pictures of bodies of water like this, never in person.
"Do you want to go swimming?" Eric offers.
I open my mouth and close it realizing how I think I might actually be afraid of the water—having so many fears involving drowning or loss of control.
"It's alright if you don't," he shrugs. "There should be a couple suits inside but they're blue. If not, we could sit at our own private beach or put our feet in the water from the dock."
I decide the dock is probably the best way to get myself acclimated without actually getting in so we take off our shoes and sit at the end of the dock side by side. I dip my feet in the water and laugh at the incredible sensation.
"It'll only be warm for another month or so until the temperature drops. We could come back again if you want?" he says shrugging.
"Maybe," I grin sheepishly even though I really want to. I don't want him feeling obligated to take me anywhere.
We sit here for a while and then move onto the beach. Eric insists that I have to at least walk on the sand. I step off of the wooden dock with my bare feet and giggle at the feeling of sand beneath my feet. We sit together in the sand with our sides touching talking about anything and everything. The conversation is mostly lighthearted and pleasant. I inquire as to why he stopped coming with his family and I instantly regret asking. He confides that that's when his parents passed away and his aunt didn't let them do as much.
"But we got to come here," he shrugs. "It was still nice... just less social."
I nod and actually reach out for his hand in consolation. He stares at the connection for a moment before he separates his fingers and laces ours together. I sigh at the feeling of holding his hand. I'll admit that I have a rush throughout my entire body like that of the first time I reached out for Four's hand... but this contact is so different—so much stronger and more meaningful. I feel my heart flutter as he meets my eyes with those familiar steely blue eyes of his. I try to force a smile through my nerves and turn my head to look out at the lapping water of the pond. I subconsciously lean my head up against his shoulder and I feel him sigh shakily. He releases my hand and puts his arm fully around my shoulder, taking my hand back with the other. I feel a kiss to the top of my head and I close my eyes at how incredible it feels to be in his embrace. We stay out until just as the sun begins to lower in the sky. He tells me we'll either have to start a fire since this place will be swarming with mosquitoes, eat dinner at Amity, or head back to Dauntless.
"I wouldn't mind any," he admits softly meeting my eyes again.
"Why don't we head home?" I suggest. "Christina has been blowing up my phone all day and I've been ignoring her."
He chuckles lightly and nods. He drives us into the fence toward home... but we stop just before the city buildings, sitting on the top of his truck to watch the sunset. I feel him reach for me and turn my face toward him. Before I know it his lips are on mine. I gasp at first graze of his soft lips gently touching mine before I melt into the kiss and meet him. He deepens the kiss and I wrap my arms around him. His kiss is unique—soft and gentle, yet so passionate and meaningful.
"It's always been you, Tris," he whispers to me as he breaks the kiss. I realize he's the one that gave me that nickname—years ago.
I meet his eyes to see they're already on mine. I initiate the next kiss and I'm floored by the intensity in it—his fervor for me. I don't need to hear the words from him. I know he loves me... he always has. And I love him... I had just forgotten.
We drive back to Dauntless and he's actually smiling. We arrive just before dinner and we stop at his apartment to drop off his apples. Grabbing my bag he walks me back to my place carrying half. We drop off everything and I lock up. He reaches for my hand and I let him take it as we walk through Dauntless announcing we're official.
"What are you doing after dinner?" he asks me. I know he has to sit with the other leaders.
"What are you doing?" I inquire.
"Whatever you let me do with you?" he grins. He actually grins.
"Why don't I see what everyone else is up to and I'll let you know?" I say.
"Alright," he nods.
We walk into the cafeteria still holding hands and Christina sees us together. Her eyes immediately see our intertwined fingers and she's gaping at us. Eric pulls me with him to the line and we grab our dinner together. He walks me to my friends' table and takes his free hand threading his fingers through my hair and kissing me. It's not a chaste kiss, not a sloppy kiss, but a passionate, loving kiss. He pecks my lips once more before turning and leaving. Zeke holds his hand up and Eric high fives him before walking to his table. I laugh at the gesture and sit between Christina and Lynn.
"So... I see why you've been ghosting me today," Christina says grinning from ear to ear. "Where have you been? I've searched everywhere."
"Not Eric's apartment," Uriah jokes.
I chuckle at that. She's still waiting for an answer so I explain an abridged version of last night and today.
"Alright," she nods still smiling.
"So... what are we doing tonight?" I question.
"Party at Uriah's," Christina grins.
"That sounds awesome," I beam.
"You can bring Eric," Uriah says. "Actually, tell him Ryan can come if he wants. He always brings tons of drinks to any party he attends."
"Okay," I laugh. I text Eric and I see him look at his phone. He smirks and meets my eyes. He nods.