Thirteen-I Heard They Broke Up 4

Eric

I sit at the bar sipping my first beer of the night.  Ryan hasn't arrived yet and I wait patiently. I notice some ladies entering the club out of the corner of my eye. They grasp my full attention when I see that Tris is in the midst of them. She's smiling and laughing at something Christina says and she's never looked more stunning. Her gorgeous blonde hair is down, curled at the ends. I think she's wearing a little bit of makeup because her eyes are more noticeable and her lips slightly darker than natural, but she's beautiful. She's one of those girls that doesn't need makeup to look good but on the rare occasion that she does wear it, it accentuates her beauty even more. She could model without it, though, if she wanted to. She's got a black dress on fitted at the top and flaring out at the bottom. It comes just above her knees. I see she's wearing heels and I chuckle lightly when I notice her stumble in them a little. She laughs it off though and crosses the room with her friends.
They grab one of the few empty tables and order drinks. I turn around in my barstool to get a better view and sip my drink observing them. Their beverages arrive and I see beer bottles all around except she's got what I can only guess to be one of Erudite's fizzy drinks. They all make a toast and I grin at her as she sips it.
"What'd I miss?" Ryan sighs as he sits beside me.
I angle my beer in their direction.
"Ah?" he grins mischievously.
"I heard they broke up," I tell him trying to hold a straight face.
"I heard something different," he tells me and my smile drops.
"What'd you hear?" I demand.
"Lydia and Wendy were in the office gossiping," he starts taking a sip of his beer as it arrives. He swallows and continues. "She confided in Lydia that they only kissed a few times and it was never official. She just ended it completely when he threw a fit about her joining leadership."
"Wendy told Lydia this?" I question.
I see him take a big gulp and my patience is running thin as I wait for him to swallow again.
"No, man," he says shaking his head. "Tris told Lydia that. I overheard Lydia telling Wendy what Tris told her. According to Lydia, Tris said they never really went out and barely saw each other since she became a member. She said after initiation, it felt like they didn't have anything in common."
"Well, that's good news for me," I reply grinning.
"That is excellent news for you," he says slapping me on my back.
I see most of the girls go out on a fast song to dance. I watch her move to the music as if she was always Dauntless and knows exactly what she's doing. The rising of her arms above her head, the swaying of her hips is entrancing. She turns her back to me and I can't help but admire her. She's gorgeous, sexy... single.
I debate on joining her on the dance floor... but I see another guy approach. I sigh thinking I missed my chance. He starts to dance with her without even asking. He wraps his arms around her midsection and she looks down in surprise, just noticing for the first time. She pushes him off and walks away back to her table. She sits down beside Lynn who's currently doing shots with Shauna. She looks upset and disturbed.
I want to go over there and comfort her but I recall it's only in my dreams that we've ever spoken outside of initiation. Max was the one to make the job offer to her. He's already assuming his duties somewhat as head since Jude decided to announce his upcoming retirement. Max has us all training her and I've barely even been in the same room with her yet, let alone having a private moment to talk. She worked in the security office for a month under Jax until the offer. I can't forget how good she looked in a uniform when I'd see her around the compound. I know Jax is demanding though, but it was a good position and I bet she learned a lot about leadership, organization, and delegation from him.
I see the other girls join her at the table during a slow song and I realize none of their boyfriends are here, it's just a ladies' night out. Several guys go up to them and ask them to dance. They all reject them. I see another guy approach Tris and she shakes her head at him. Maybe she's not interested in another relationship.
Tris goes out to dance again and I see several more guys throughout the evening try to dance with her. She declines or rejects them all. If they ask nicely, she responds nicely. If they just try to take her without permission, they get shoved off. I grin in that she takes control. She also knows what she wants—but I can't decide if it's to be left alone... or just not them. A different guy tries wrapping his arms around her and she searches his forearms first before pushing him away. He tries again and gets knocked to the floor. I chuckle at that and motion to Ryan to check it out.
"Man, is she leadership material or what?" he whistles in awe.
"Yeah," I agree. I think I'm falling in love.
My attention is taken with a deep sigh opposite of me next to Ryan as someone plops down beside him. I pull a face realizing Four is sitting with us. Ryan beats me to the question.
"Why are you here?" he asks the unwelcome control room worker harshly.
"The seat was empty and I need a drink," Four shrugs nonchalantly. It sounds like he's already had one too many by the slur of his words.
"Did the last bar kick you out?" I ask him raising an eyebrow.
He laughs in response. Yeah... he's hammered. I wave the bartender over and have him get security to escort Four home.
They arrive and he protests.
"Either you allow them to escort you home or they will forcefully escort you to lockup for the night," I tell him. "Take your pick."
Four rises grudgingly and strolls out but it's obvious he's way past his limit by the unsteadiness of his swagger. I glance back to the area Tris was in to see her eyes on mine. She smiles at me and I smirk in reply, tipping my bottle in a toast to her. She laughs lightly and reaches for her glass. She toasts me and realizes it's empty. I see her whispering to her friends and she rises from her seat. She walks straight over to me and takes the empty seat next to me.
"Thanks for that," she motions to the empty seat beside Ryan.
"No problem. He was well past his limit. I'm surprised he was still able to walk," I tell her taking a sip.
She laughs at that and orders a root beer. She's given the drink but she stays where she is. I swipe my point card on the device, paying for her beverage. 
"How's leadership training?" I ask her.
She grins at me. "Good. It's like a dream job."
"I'm glad. It can be too much for some," I reply.
"I think I can handle it," she responds.
"You do have a stronger resolve than most," I agree.
She actually smiles at me.
"Cheers," she says clanging her glass with mine.
"What are we toasting to?" I ask her taking another sip.
"Me asking you to dance," she shrugs setting down her drink. "And you saying yes."
She rises and sets my beer on the bar. I stare at her in disbelief but I rise nonetheless. I reach for her hand and she takes it. She smiles up at me but I'm still in a daze that I'm actually going to dance with the girl of my dreams. I lead her out and take her in my arms. We slow dance since that's what's playing now.  I don't know how long we stay out but we dance every slow and fast song together.  I wrap my arms around her midsection the way I've seen several guys earlier try and fail.  She looks down at my arms and traces my tattoos as we move to the music and I realize... she was waiting for me.  I smirk at that.  Sometimes dreams do come true.