Nine-Childhood Love Remembered 2.4

Tris

We walk hand in hand following the group to Uriah's party.  We made a pitstop at a couple shops in the Pit grabbing drinks, snacks, and disposable cups. 
I help Christina and Marlene set up the kitchen and putting some of the cold items in his fridge.  Zeke and Shauna arrive with a keg along with Ryan who has bags full of miscellaneous beverages.  Uriah already has some loud music playing and Eric pulls me over to the empty space they cleared in the living room to dance.  He turns my chin up and pecks my lips before he dances with me.  It's the first time I've ever had a partner and I feel like this is what it's meant to be like. Everyone dances and drinks a bit. Most everyone doesn't overdo it. I see Eric talking and joking with his friends while I'm with the girls.
"He's definitely more social than Four," Marlene admits about Eric.
I nod not really one for badmouthing my ex. I'm just happy with how things are going... "He's just so... different. I like that," I tell her.
Eric and I meet up and slow dance together. My heart melts as he holds me, leads me in a proper dance, not just the swaying everyone else does. Christina and I call it a night and Eric looks sad that we're leaving already.
"When do I get to see you next?" he whispers to me.
"We have plans in the morning but I'll see you at lunch," I tell him.
"Alright," he nods before he leans in and kisses me. It turns into a make out session but as we finally separate, I notice Christina and Will are doing exactly that.
"Goodnight," I whisper giving him one more kiss before we leave.
On the walk home, Christina insists I divulge everything about today and I do. We share her giant bed giggling about our boyfriends. I was not really so girly when it came to Four, but with Eric... I'm so overcome with these crazy feelings for him. I'll admit that I'd always had the biggest crush on him growing up and she says she's happy for me.
Christina and I get up early, have breakfast, and go to the small church service Dauntless has in the hall just above the offices. Eric meets me at lunch and even sits with us after he's finished at the leader's table.
"Did you miss me?" I tease.
"You have no idea," he whispers holding onto me as I sit with my friends eating.
We spend the afternoon in Candor walking around the Merciless Mart. Eric gets me my first ice cream. We return to Dauntless and have dinner before going back to his apartment. He walks me home and kisses me at the door. He reminds me he has to be professional in the office but he's all mine after work. I smile at that and kiss him again.
Monday morning in the office is typical business but Wendy does ask me if the rumors about Eric and me are true. I ask what she's heard.
"That you're a couple, of course," she grins. I beam at her and she knows her answer.
Eric is in his office for a while in the morning and then he goes down to the holding facility with several guards along with Max and Ryan, not without glancing at me and smiling—an actual smile. I smile in return. As he leaves, I realize he will probably be speaking with Four and I feel awful. But then, I remember what happened and he's trying to protect me and do what's right.
I continue in the office sorting paperwork, typing up forms, and assisting the other leaders in anything they need. I see Eric at lunch and he smiles at me.  I wave to him and eat quickly so I can spend the rest of my lunch break with him. He starts getting up, saying something to the other leaders and then walking away with his tray. I meet him at the return and we walk out together. He takes me down a side hallway holding my hand in his. He stops me, kissing my cheek and holding me in his arms. I feel so cherished and loved.
"We interrogated Four," he tells me softly.
"I figured," I nod into his chest.
"I had security look into several things with him," he tells me.
"Okay," I say looking up at him.
"Through initiation," he admits. I nod again. "Did you know that relationships with trainers wasn't allowed?" he asks me softly.
I shake my head. "I... I kind of thought so after a while," I admit.
"When?" he questions.
"After he kissed me," I tell him.
"You mean what he lied to me about?" he asks.
I frown and nod.
"He kind of... ignored me. I figured either he was using me, ashamed of me, or... it probably wasn't allowed. I guess I was hoping the later because the other thoughts I had just hurt my feelings," I explain.
"So, he never told you?" he confirms.
I shake my head.
He grins. "Is it terrible that I didn't know you slapped him until this morning?" he says laughing. "That was deserved, by the way. I'm surprised you went back to him. That's why you went to see Caleb?"
I nod again.
"Never again, though," I tell him.
"What do you mean?" he asks.
"I'll never go back to him," I explain. He looks glad. "Before anything with us even happened, what he did to me was it. I'd had it with his temper. I couldn't live with that anymore."
"What if I piss you off?" he questions worriedly.
"Did you see the Pit scene he caused?" I ask.
He bites his lip and nods.
"Do you think he was justified?" I question.
"No," he says easily. "But if I didn't know where you were..." he trails off.
"I texted him several times saying I'd be late and what I was doing. He never checked his phone. He was always jumping to conclusions, always thinking the worst of me. This was not the first instance of him saying something like that, just the last and most public," I explain.
"Oh, no problem then. I trust you," he says easily.
"I didn't love him though, not that I would ever cheat on anyone," I shrug.
"What does that mean?" he asks.
He's nudging me with his head below my neck like a cat. I stay quiet for a moment as he affectionately cuddles with me. He moves from that position and meets my eyes with his. He kisses me gently.
"I feel the same," he whispers. "I always have. It's only ever been you. I knew who you were the first day. But I don't think you recognized me. It was always you... only you."
He kisses me again and my heart melts at that. I know he loves me... and he doesn't have to say it. He walks me back upstairs and stops at Max's office.
"She didn't know," he tells him still holding my hand.
"It's fine then," Max waves a dismissive hand.
"Alright," Eric nods and shuts the door.
He takes me to his office and opens the door for me to enter. He motions to his sofa and I take a seat. I see the chair I sat in before, how I pinched my leg in front of him and pretended to cry. Since my position here, I've always felt like a fool about that, how Four kind of humiliated me with his story.
"I know," he nods at me. "He told us everything."
I nod in response but I can't meet his eyes.
"I need to ask you a few things about Peter before I have him brought up here," he tells me.
"Okay," I say softly.
"I can kick him out if you want," he offers. My eyes instantly snap to his. "Is that something you'd want?"
I wince at the suggestion. "I honestly don't think I could ever be the reason for that," I admit. "I saw the Factionless daily. I think if you've actually witnessed their miserable existence, you'd completely pity them, too, and probably do whatever you could to avoid going there yourself or being the cause for someone's expulsion."
"Baby?" he says reaching out for me and making me meet his eyes. "He tried to kill you. I honestly don't want him anywhere near you ever again. The same with Four but I'm giving him one more chance after he serves his sentence."
I look to him confused. "He'll be in lockup for two weeks for intentionally and repeatedly drugging you. He's not allowed near you again," he explains. I nod in understanding.
"I'll bring Peter into the conference room. Security will be present. You could be if you want. I'm absolutely putting him in lockup for two weeks. He and Four can be neighbors. He'll receive extended surveillance like Four, a trial period, and a demotion. If I'd known about this before you all became members, he'd have already been made Factionless," he tells me.
I sit quietly beside him and he reaches for my hand.
"Do you want to come or stay out of the interrogation?" he asks me.
"Why didn't I get this offer for Four's?" I ask him.
He stops playing with my hand for a moment.
"Because of my insecurities," he admits.
I try to meet his eyes but he's looking away from me, almost embarrassed.
"Are you afraid I'd ever choose him over you?" I ask softly.
He purses his lips and nods.
"What about after what I said earlier?" I question.
"This would probably be in my fear landscape," he tells me honestly. "That you'd choose him over me again."
"Never," I tell him. He meets my eyes and I think he believes me. But I feel like it's something I'm going to have to continually reinforce for that concern to disappear.
"Do you want to be there?" he asks again.
"What exactly is going to happen?" I inquire. "Are we viewing the recordings again or anything?"
"No," he shakes his head. "We've already seen it. He lived it. He knows what he did. We're just letting him know that we know and making our decision on his punishment. We are going to ask him some questions, though."
"Okay," I say softly.
He calls Wendy in and has her get Peter up here, along with Max and Ryan. He lets me sit in his office holding his hand for a little while. When Wendy knocks on his door and says that Peter is being brought up, he grabs his computer and a stack of files. I help him carry his things to the conference room. I see Wendy in there pouring drinks and I go over to help her.
"It's fine. I've got it. Take a seat and relax," she tells me. She must know.
I nod and sit beside Eric. He's already set up the projector and I'm really hoping he doesn't need it. I see a black box on the table resting in from of Ryan.
"Congratulations, by the way," he laughs. "I don't think I ever told you personally. The moment I saw you two leave the bar, I knew, though."
"Wait? What?" I question.
"Eric had been telling me about you since he got here," Ryan grins. "The moment you jumped into our net, it was just a matter of time. If Four hadn't done what he did, I doubt he would've had a chance."
I really mull over what he said as Max walks in the room. "You're right. If I would've known that Eric was my Eric, I would've been his from day one," I admit.
"That's why I couldn't say anything and had to wait until after initiation," Eric says looking through some papers.
"Favoritism," Ryan and I both say at the same time.
There's a knock on the door and Max calls them in. Two guards escort Peter in.
"Hey, am I getting a promotion?" he asks happily.
Ryan snorts and Max tells him to take a seat.
"Why are you here?" Peter whispers to me.  I just stare at him.  "Oh, crap."
"Oh, crap is right," Ryan grins. 
"I'm sorry.  It won't happen again," he says quickly. 
"Little did he know they were actually childhood sweethearts," Ryan taunts. 
"What?" Peter asks confused. 
"What Ryan is saying... is that if I knew that you had your hands on my girl's throat, the girl I've known since I was two, that I would've thrown you in the Chasm.  Be grateful that I pried everything out of her on Friday, rather than later on," Eric says almost calmly but the way he grasps the papers he's holding is not gentle.   "That's all of them that are relevant," he tells Max. 
Max takes his time looking through the papers and then passing them to Ryan.  I thought Eric said they already viewed the recordings.  I wonder what they're looking at. 
"This one," Max says handing Eric a paper. 
Eric actually laughs.  "Good choice," he grins. 
He looks to Peter and any trace of a smile is completely wiped off his face. 
"Care to tell us why you're here?" Eric says tauntingly. 
"Um..." he says worriedly glancing at the box.  I can tell that he's bouncing his leg under the table.  "What's in the box?"
"Truth serum," Ryan chuckles. 
"No way.  This isn't Candor," Peter denies. 
"And yet we still have it," Ryan continues grinning. 
"Oh, crap," he mutters. 
Eric lists off what Peter has done, even mentioning things I was unaware of.  Eric motions to the guards to inject him.  One holds him down and the other handles the injection. 
"I just have one question for you," Eric starts.  "Will you ever come near Tris again?"
"No.  Now that she's with you, I'll stay away from her," Peter replies. 
"What if they're not together?" Ryan asks. 
Peter looks to be in pain.  Ryan repeats the question.  He sounds even more desperate, in agony. 
"I'd never go near her again because I'd probably get caught," Peter admits. 
"Even though you'd want to?" Max asks. 
"Even though I'd want to," Peter agrees. 
"Can I ask a question?" I whisper to Eric. 
"Sure," he shrugs. 
"Did you stab Edward?" I inquire. 
He's in that same pain as before and Ryan asks again. 
"Drew held him down," Peter replies. 
"And you stabbed him?" I ask. 
"And I stabbed him," he answers sighing. 
"I forgot about that," Max admits. 
"Any more questions?" Eric asks the room. 
"Why were you always going after Tris?" Ryan questions. 
"Duh, she's dead sexy but I didn't want to get beat by a Stiff," Peter says. 
I blink in surprise.  "What?" I question. 
"He's got the hots for you," Ryan says to me.  Peter looks at me defeated. 
"Have your fun," Eric motions to Ryan and he rubs his hands together. 
Ryan rapid fire asks the most humiliating things and Peter has to answer them.  I'm both laughing and wincing—especially when his responses are about his crush on me.  He admits that I'm the best looking girl he's ever seen and that Molly was jealous of me. 
Peter finally shakes out of the serum, it wearing off.  He grumbles that it was like a mind rape.  Eric looks at him unamused.  "Yeah, what's that like?" he taunts. 
Peter makes a face. 
"You really want to keep him here?" Eric asks me tiredly. 
"I just have seen Factionless firsthand.  It's more miserable than death," I frown. 
"What?" Peter asks. 
"Eric wants to throw you to Factionless and Tris doesn't want you expelled," Ryan explains. 
Peter looks at me confused and I can't meet his eyes. 
"It has nothing to do with you, Candor, and everything to do with the size of her heart," Eric tells him tiredly.  He sighs and lists off their decision, adding in the trauma caused to Edward.  He'll be in lockup for a month—the longest Dauntless has ever done for a single person.  When he returns, it will be conditional.  Any more mess-ups and he's either out or executed.  That makes Peter gulp.  Eric tells him what job he'll be returning to and it's a night guard shift with no extra pay and he'll be monitored for an extended period of time.  They send him out in handcuffs and he looks at me as he's walking away. 
Max and Ryan leave us alone for a little while.  "Are you alright?" Eric asks me worriedly. 
"Yeah.  I just find him to be strange," I admit.
"How so?" he asks. 
"Picking on the girl he likes," I shrug. 
"Boys do that," he nods. 
I meet his eyes and he has picked on me a bit—when we were younger and more recently.
"Can I ask you something?" he questions me.
I nod.
"What do you think of Peter?" he inquires.
"I both hate and pity him," I shrug.
"No attraction, right?" he asks.
"Absolutely not," I say disgusted.
"Good," he replies.
"Yeah, I just love the boys that try to kill me," I tease rolling my eyes at him.
"You're joking, right?" he questions seriously.
"Yes, that was sarcasm. I can't stand him," I tell him.
He frowns and nods.
"You have nothing to worry about. I only have eyes for you," I say seriously meeting his eyes with mine.
He looks at me and he appears to want a kiss.
"Would you get in trouble if we...?" I ask trailing off.
"I wouldn't but you may get a talking to by your superior," he grins.
"Worth it," I whisper leaning in and capturing his lips with mine. He deepens the kiss.
"Don't mind me. I'm just cleaning up," Wendy teases as she walks into the conference room.
"I thought you said I'd get in trouble," I slap Eric's arm playfully.
"I said might," he emphasizes.
"Just don't make out for the whole shift," Wendy warns.
I laugh and kiss him again.