Nineteen-Initiation Offers 5.6

Tris

We split up groups in the next part of training—half goes through fear sims in stage two while the other to fighting practice to earn more points and to keep their sanity, then switching after lunch.  Eric and I work together going over each recording to hunt for Divergents—not to harm but to protect.  I tell him that Tori and Four are trustworthy to join us in harboring them.  He decides to include them in on it.  We meet up inna private location.  Four is shocked and disbelieving, storming out of Eric's apartment.  Tori asks Eric some questions about her brother—even though it was before his time.  He looks into it and discovers Egan—his predecessor—seems to be responsible, finding his emails with Jeanine about George's termination but the actual death is missing from the recordings.  After that, Tori is onboard and convinces Four to trust us somewhat. We work together, comparing notes on the simulations. I'm shocked one day when Uriah joins us—Four's doing—and I'm astonished in finding out that he's one of us.  Four actually takes me aside at one point and apologizes for how he's been about Eric—admitting that he was wrong.  I accept his apology and things between us aren't so abrasive after that.  He's still jealous, just not angry or harsh. 
As initiation continues, the trainees all put on muscle, refine their skills, and work out their fears. The several Divergents we discover are taught to hide their abilities and trust us completely.  Final fights and fear landscapes are the last week and almost everyone has earned enough points to remain.  The few that haven't are so close but should earn enough as long as they don't quit in fights and push through their landscapes without taking forever—allowing their fear to take over.  The fights go well—no quitters—and I'm impressed by how strong they've become.  Even Max and Jude join us to witness them and they're both complimenting us on our initiates. 
"If I hadn't known better, I'd have thought they were soldiers practicing.  I've never seen such an impressive group of Dauntless initiates," Max commends us. 
I smile in thanks. 
Fear landscapes are the last two days since our training group is incredibly large and we have to break up the days.  I realize as I assist with injections and running the computer programs, that next year I'll be a part of that board of Dauntless.  That thought is both exciting as well as terrible considering Jude will be gone.  Two days of watching fear landscapes look to take it's toll on leadership but they're extraordinarily resilient and shake out of it by the end.  After completion of the second day of fear landscapes, leadership goes to meet upstairs in the offices while everyone else is excused until dinner.  I'm about to leave with the other trainers when Eric pulls me along with him, with leadership. 
"You're going to the meeting," he insists with a smirk. 
"Am I starting now?" I ask. 
"You could.  I just don't want to go searching for you after this until dinner," he tells me playfully. 
I laugh and look at him bashfully.  I follow leadership upstairs to the conference room and the computer organizes the fear landscape times, listing the order of ranks.  My eyes immediately look to the bottommost scores and I laugh in disbelief—not a single initiate gets cut this year. 
"I've got to say, I'm incredibly pleased with these results," Max comments.  "I don't think we've ever had a year in recent history that I'm aware of where there's been no fights outside of training, no deaths, and no cuts."
I close my eyes at how amazing this year has been.  We speak on how the ceremony will be held and announced.  Eric decides to make the congratulatory speech. 
"We'll make the announcement about Tris tomorrow," Jude says.  "You're welcome to join leadership tonight or whenever you want tomorrow... but we'd prefer your help for job and apartment assignments in the morning.  Fifty-eight members will absolutely take us to lunch to assign."
I laugh lightly and agree. 
The meeting is adjourned and Eric leads me back to his apartment holding my hand in his.  We sit on his sofa together and he pulls me closer kissing me sweetly.  We talk about lighthearted topics like how my schedule will go when training starts, what he's planning for me.  I rest my head on his chest as we sit together.  We start to talk about the future... he tells me he wants to spend the rest of his life with me.  I listen to all the wonderful things he says to me and I begin to realize... I think I am in love with him.  There's silence between us for a moment and I decide to confess how I feel. 
"Eric?" I question. 
"Yeah, sweetheart?" he replies kissing my temple. 
I meet his eyes and he reaches for me caressing my cheek and staring deeply back into mine. 
"I love you," I whisper. 
He smiles, laughs lightly in disbelief, and tells me the same... before he kisses me passionately once more.  We spend most of the evening just holding each other after that.  I notice Eric has a smile on his face that he just can't help. 
We eventually go down to dinner... and I decide to sit with him for this meal.  He helps me to select a good steak—something I've never had before.  Last year in my freaked out panic, I grabbed chicken and he teases me about it.  I roll my eyes at his taunting and take whatever he recommends.  We sit together at the leadership table and several people notice, whispers going around.  Eric and I snuggle together as we enjoy our meal. 
Afterwards, leadership mounts the stairs once more to make the announcement and I go to join my friends' table.  They ask me what's going on and I shrug telling them that I was just having dinner with Eric. 
Leadership makes the announcement about ranks, Eric giving a speech.  I don't know why, but I enjoy his speech much better this year.  It's similar to what I remember, yet it's more personal.  It also could be because I'm in love and I've got blinders on for anything involving him now.  They show the ranks, having to flip through several rotating screens but announce that not a single initiate is cut.  The initiates cheer and congratulate Freddy—the third Abnegation transfer in recent history to be number one.  We discovered during the second stage that he's also Divergent and we'll continue to protect him.  The noise dies down and everyone starts to vacate the cafeteria.  Christina and I get ready in our apartment and come back meeting our favorite men at the party.  Eric and I dance together and drink a little, staying until the end of the party.  He walks me back to my apartment and I kiss him goodnight.  It looks like he wants to say something but he searches my eyes as if he's unsure.  I kiss him goodnight and figure I'll give him time to think on whatever it is on his mind. 
I meet leadership at breakfast and help assign jobs.  At this point, my friends and anyone in Dauntless who understands past cultural behaviors must suspect.  I decide to join my friends for lunch which feels like a mistake—me getting bombarded with nonstop questions.  I smile at them and tell them to wait and see.  I spend the rest of the day with Eric and then we arrive to the meeting room outside of the cafeteria above the Pit level.  This actually is pretty exciting. 
Eric takes my hand in his and we enter the balcony area above the cafeteria. I've never been here before. This is strictly a leadership only area—the same with that conference room. There's cheering before we've even approached the railing. I grasp it with my hands realizing this is my new life—in the spotlight—and I don't mind. My friends are all screaming and going crazy. I notice Four staring up at me with an unreadable expression on his face. I move on and look over the entire crowd. Beside me, Eric raises his arms up. The entire faction quiets. 
"Dauntless!  Let me introduce you to your next leader, Tris!" he shouts.  His voice projects from this position, echoing across the expanse.  He grasps my hand in his and raises it for the crowd.  They all cheer in support of me—the stomping, pounding, screaming, whistling.  It's an incredibly moving experience where I just observe them, laughing and smiling, holding the man's hand I love.  I accept their encouragement and I will do the best that I can to lead them well. 
After an exceedingly long time of cheering from the faction, we descend the staircase to dinner taking a seat at the table I will remain at for the rest of my days in Dauntless.  We're served and I enjoy the company of leadership and the congratulatory smiles from the faction. 
Eric and I go back up to his apartment afterwards.  He seems a little nervous but I'm not quite sure why.  I sit on his sofa and he gets down on his knees in front of me taking my hands in his. He tells me he loves me.  I reply the same before he kisses me gently. 
"Your initiation into leadership starts today... but before we officially get started, I have another offer for you," Eric says. 
"Oh?" I laugh lightly completely intrigued.  "And what's that?"
"Me," Eric says placing a small opened box in my hands.  "Tris... will you be my wife?" he asks. 
I'm in complete awe at this.  It's so absolutely unexpected.  I look over the gorgeous ring he's presented me.  It's so different from the plain Abnegation wedding bands.  It's a delicate black metal ring with what I think is a lotus flower protruding out of the band.  It has a black jewel in the center of the flower.  I look back to Eric and he seems hopeful.  I smile at him and kiss his lips gently. 
"Is that a yes?" he whispers. 
I place my hand out for him to put the ring on.  "Yes," I tell him softly. 
He laughs lightly in almost disbelief and reaches for the ring.  He slips in on my finger and it fits perfectly.  He kisses me gently once more. 
"When do you want to get married?" he asks me. 
"Now," I tell him. 
He laughs in disbelief.  "Alright," he easily agrees nodding.  "Let me make some calls."
He calls Max and Ryan.  They both let us know that they'll meet us within the hour.  I go home and select my best dress—a long one I've never worn with spaghetti straps, a fitted top that shows off my tattoos, and a full layered ruffled skirt.  I slip on some comfortable walking shoes with a bit of a heel.  Next, I curl my hair, then do my makeup. 
"Where are you going dressed like that?" Christina asks excitedly. 
I show her my finger and she looks like she's about to faint.  "Are you alright?" I ask helping to support her. 
"Yeah, yeah.  I'm just surprised is all," she says in awe.  "Leadership and wedding all in one day."
I smile at her.  "Do you want to come?  It'll be soon," I tell her. 
"Yes!  I can't believe I wasn't first on the invites," she says almost lecturing me. 
"Only invite close friends," I insist. 
She nods profusely.  But I see her get out her phone and start making calls.  There's a knock on my door and I answer it.  Eric's standing there in a suit and he looks incredible.  He smiles at me. 
"Are you about ready?" he asks. 
"Yeah," I reply. 
"Wait!" Christina shouts.  "I'm coming, too."
She follows behind us as we walk toward the offices.  "Don't you need a ring, too?" I ask. 
"Already handled," he says patting his pocket. I smile at him.
We make our way up the stairs in the Pit toward the fear landscape room. As we arrive, I see several people already waiting. All of Dauntless leadership is here. They greet us. Lydia pushes a small bouquet of black roses into my hands. I thank her for them laughing lightly. Some more friends arrive—Uriah and Marlene, Will, Zeke and Shauna, Tori, Jax and Emi—his wife. My parents show up and I try not to cry. They both hug me, then surprisingly hug Eric as well. Four shows up and I honestly have mixed feelings about that.
"Is this everyone?" I ask Eric as he holds me.
"There's one more couple we're waiting on," he tells me and I nod.
Jude explains that he'll be officiating—probably his last wedding. I thank him and wipe a tear from my eyes, grateful that I chose the waterproof makeup today. The last guests arrive and when I see Caleb with a younger girl, I actually do cry. I rush to my brother and hug him. Eric is holding the girl and I realize she's his sister. She's close to my height but I am actually wearing heels and she's still a little taller.
Jude performs the ceremony and I spend the entire time looking into Eric's eyes realizing what's actually happening. I'm so overjoyed in this moment. We exchange rings—him sliding mine off and putting a plain, matching black band on and then replacing the band with the flower. I slide his single, matching band on and it's substantially bigger and thicker than mine. We seal the ceremony and our lives together with a kiss.  Everyone is cheering for us. We take a few pictures together, then some with family and friends. We sign the paperwork and I toss the bouquet—Christina catching it.
Eric rushes me down the stairs as we wave to everyone. By the time we're near his building, he picks me up. I laugh in surprise as he carries me up the staircase to the top floor. He unlocks his door with one hand and opens it, stepping us both inside. He sets me on my feet and I look around. It occurs to me that this is now my home—that I'm actually his wife. I smile as he takes me in his arms and kisses me lovingly, passionately. I think in this picturesque moment, that though time has flown by, this initiation is definitely the most memorable of my life, me receiving so many unexpected offers from Eric that I just couldn't refuse.