[ 010 ] ghostbusters, but better

CHAPTER TENX

CHAPTER TEN
X.      ghostbusters, but better
[ season 2, episode 6 ]

          They made it to the junkyard around midday, and immediately began assembling their trap for Dart.

Steve dumped the remainder of interdimensional-slug chow on the ground between the abandoned school bus and a mound of rusty parts. Steph and Dustin worked together to stack boards of decomposing metal sheets against the exterior of the old bus ── a shield to protect them against the creature lurking somewhere in the hollowed depths of Hawkins.

Steph learned that Dustin was inexplicably smart for his age. Like, scholarship smart. He had a great sense of humour, too, which made their teamwork all the more enjoyable.

Steve, on the other hand, worked alone. But being in his own company opened his mind to a plethora of intrusive thoughts, most of which consisted of the newfound electricity burrowing deep into his core. Not only that, but his gaze was seemingly in a world of it's own ── eyes constantly and involuntarily gravitating toward the blonde girl at the opposing end of the junkyard. He forced himself to look away. But only a moment or two later, Steve would find himself drawn to looking upon the eccentric soul once again, until her appearance was indefinitely scorched to his memory. Messy hair thrown up into a ponytail, grey lumberjacket tied around her waist, determination glinting in her cobalt eyes.

He became distracted when the shrill sound of a bike-bell echoed across the desolate junkyard.

"I said medium-well!"

Steph paused mid-way through prying a slab of chipped metal from a demolished car. Three kids were making their way over the crest of the hill at the far end of the junkyard ── one boy and two girls. The boy waved enthusiastically, while the redheaded girl shoved her hands into her pockets awkwardly, and the brunette swayed on her feet.

Steph's brow furrowed. She turned to Dustin, "Are they your friends?"

He gave a small nod. However, the flustered and captivated look upon his expression was an immediate giveaway to the emotions he was very obviously trying to conceal. The redheaded girl was the main cause of these obscured sentiments. Something that tended to occur when one was struck with this thing called a crush.

Steph fought back a smile and followed Dustin and Steve toward the new arrivals.

"This is Lucas." Dustin pointed at the boy who was carefully placing his bike down in the grass. He then turned his finger toward the girls, "Lucia and Max."

Steve waved. Steph crossed her arms and smiled warmly.

"That's Steph. And that's Steve ── which you already know." Dustin concluded.