CHAPTER FOUR: Of Use

"I like your tattoos."

The man on the opposite side of the cell bars just stared down at me, unblinking and expressionless. I found it kind of rude, seeing as he had been the one to wake me up with a sudden clanging of metal.

I was still exhausted. Sleeping hadn't been easy with a broken and battered body, and on top of that the last thing I had eaten were coffee beans almost three days ago. It was hard to even keep my head sitting straight on my shoulders.

Finally moving, Heat shuffled away for a moment before returning with a wooden cup, crouching to set it down on my side. Sceptical, I picked it up to thoroughly inspect the contents. It looked like water, and it smelled like water, but I wasn't sure.

"We don't poison people." As if reading my thoughts, the withered looking man spoke up, nodding towards the cup I held in my hand. That was enough for me, and honestly, poison didn't seem like Kid's style, so I threw my head back and gulped it down, nearly choking due to how dry my throat was.

"Thanks..." I replied sincerely, setting the cup back down close to the bars for him to take if he wanted. "Uh, so, has your Captain decided what he's going to do with me yet? I'm not trying to rush you guys, but I'm not really digging the whole slowburn death game.. "

Heat stared at me for a long time, and I began to feel just a touch unnerved before he sighed and stood up, a few of his bones cracking quietly.
"I'm not at liberty to discuss it. That's between Kid and Killer."

So I'm either dead or super dead. Great.

I was starving, but I didn't dare ask for food. Even more water would have been enough for me, but I knew my place. I was a prisoner, and against my nature I had to try and keep my dumb mouth shut.

The next few hours - or days, I wasn't sure - were spent slipping in and out of restless sleep, and scratching lines into the wooden floor, trying to distract myself from the horrendous throbbing of my wrist.

Eventually, I heard somebody begin their descent down the stairs, but before I could prepare myself for the violence of Captain Kid a strong, enticing smell wafted past my nose.

Out of the shadows walked Killer, a bowl in one hand and keys in the other. Opening the cell door, he approached me, stopping two or so feet away. As I was wearing his polka dotted shirt, he had since changed into a pinstriped tank top, which didn't suit him as much.

"I shouldn't be doing this, but here." Squatting to my level, he reached to place the bowl between us, and I leaned over to look at what he had brought for me. "It's just leftovers from dinner. It isn't much, but it's still kind of warm, so if you don't want to die, I suggest you eat it."

The leftovers were comprised of sauced spaghetti and a single, speckled meatball, sitting like the cherry on top. Without questioning anything this time, I snatched the bowl with my functional hand and sat it upon my lap, shoving a fistful into my mouth greedily.

It's really good...

Killer stayed where he was, studying me from behind his mask, and I eyed him suspiciously.
"Thank you for the food, but I don't want you to be nicer to me just because I'm a woman. I mean, you nearly broke my back over a desk, in an un-sexy way. Can't really backtrack now."

Resting his forearms on his bent knees, I heard a faint sigh from behind the striped helmet, another fist of spaghetti smashing into my mouth.
"I genuinely regret doing that, just so you know. I may be a degenerate, but I don't like hurting women who haven't attacked me first, whether they're strong or not."

Meatball in my gob now, my brows furrowed as I chewed and glared.
"I went for my pistol. You had every right to beat me up. The wrist, however...Fuck you, man." When Killer shifted closer, I hated the way I flinched involuntarily. It was weak, and just proved his point.