Chapter 17: Friends I Thought I Had

Saturday I did nothing at all but scoot around the house, and Sunday my family came back home to visit me. Which didn't make me feel any better. My parents bought a new laundry room door then went to New York or whatever.

Surprisingly, I couldn't wait to go to school. I knew the day could be really great or really horrible, if Vonté, Ryan, or Chris popped up. Yet still, I wanted to go to school, to sit in class, and socialize. I haven't talked to my friends in a week but I'm sure they'll understand I was going through something.

I walked through the front doors as students walked closely together trying to get into the building. Finally reaching into the school fully, I made my way to Kimberly's locker. As I stood waiting at her locker I couldn't help thinking about how weird Natalie was acting the other night. At first I was angry but then again I really don't know, maybe she was mad at something....or was drinking. I know at times she can be an angry drunk.

Soon I saw Kimberly walking toward her locker, and she stood in front of me.

"Hey! I'm sorry I didn't answer the phone, you know how it is with the family." She said as she went to unlock her locker.

I knew how it was for Kim, she had a huge family and everyone has to pull their weight. If it's not working then it's watching her older sisters or brothers kids.

"Yeah, I know. What did you do this weekend?"

"You know, church and the kids."

"Yeah, I know."

"I called you back but didn't get an answer. What was going on?"

As much as I wanted to tell her, I couldn't. I'm not completely over it and with Vonté being in the same building as me, I can't deal.

"You know, my uhh...parents and Mark are out of town so...I wanted company."

"You could have just came over my house, you know you don't need to ask."

"Yeah." I said as she locked her locker. We stood there waiting for the other girls, then I decided to ask her about Natalie.

"Hey, have you noticed something different with Natalie? I called her and she was acting weird."

"Truthfully, I haven't been paying attention but maybe she has. I'll pay attention next time."

"Ok."

In no time Natalie, Taylor, Kesha, and London were walking over toward us. I could tell something was wrong with London, she seemed to be distant from the other girls and she looked slightly irritated.

"Hey." I said, looking at all of them.

"Hey." Taylor and Kesha said at the same time, while Natalie stood there silent.

"Hey London."

"Hey best friend. I'm so sorry about last week, I tried calling but never got through." She hugged me, and wouldn't let go.

"You're ok, I was just going through something."

"Mmmhmm." I heard from Natalie, London let go of me.

"What was that?" I asked looking at her.

"Nothing, just tired of school already." She responded as Taylor and Kesha snickered.

"Sure." I replied as London and I looked at each other.

*****************************
I quickly walked to art class as I realized I would be late because of London. We were talking about Natalie, because not only has she been acting weird with me but her too. Before they got to the locker, London said she saw Natalie and said "Hi" yet she didn't respond. Natalie swiftly walked past her. And the only reason she walked in with them was because she was talking to Kesha.