Decoy

The vishwa's screech was cut-off abruptly, its throat bursting outward. White, oily blood spurted out into Rowan's mouth. She flinched back, gagging. When she looked up again it was to see the vishwa drop to the ground, a gaping hole in its neck. Thrax was standing behind the boney carcass, her mirok dagger in his hand.

Nearby, the queen's rapid clicks volleyed like cannon fire ricocheting from the cavern walls.

Thrax looked Rowan over, his gaze swift and deadly. Then he leaped out of sight, leaving her gaping at the empty space where he'd been. Another vishwa scuttled into view almost instantly and took one look at its fallen comrade. Before it could blast another alarm, however, its eye exploded with white muck as Thrax dropped down onto its head. Stab! Stab! Stab! With violent speed and wet ripping, the head was severed. The vishwa's pincers clenched and unclenched like a gasping fish as Thrax flung it beside the twitching body.

Rowan was covered in another layer of smelly ichor. It clung to the roof of her mouth. Once again, Thrax vanished before she had a chance to speak. This time, when a third vishwa appeared, she had the forethought to cover her mouth when Thrax dispatched it just as fast as the two before. There seemed nothing more lethal than a mirok fang in a warg's hand. A warg armored in nixrath, besides.

The queen's excitement had diminished. Her clicking sounded angry now.

"Are you using me as a fucking decoy?" Rowan hissed, speaking low so that the turbulence of the water drowned her out.

He grinned, looking her over. "Yes, you're doing great!" Then he pulled her up for a brisk kiss.

She shoved him back. "I'm covered in grot!"

"Camouflage," he whispered, swiping pus off her brow.

She made a face, but he shushed her with a glare. "You have to get out of here now. It's my turn to be the decoy."

"What!? No, Thrax!" She tried to jerk back as he removed Merritt's nixrath from around his neck and forced it over her head. It settled in place with a soft silvery sound—the weight of dread around her shoulders.

His claws bit her shoulders as she struggled. "Rowan, for the love of Brek, we don't have time for this! Just shut up and listen!" He gave her a little shake for good measure. "She'll kill you on sight. Me she'll want to fuck first and savor. Once the pack arrives, I'll be able to draw on their power and—"

"Don't...don't lie to me!" she gasped, choking on tears. Tears so hot they stung. She could barely speak, her throat was so raw, her chest pinching. "You told me yourself once they get you in the hive you're dead!" She'd never wanted this bond! Now she had it, the thought of death cutting it short was...it was piercing. She gripped her elbows, letting her nails carve her skin.

"I'm not lying!" He dragged her against his chest. "I told you, I have something to live for now. Please don't give up." He glanced up, their time running out.

She scrubbed her eyes, trying to calm her breathing. "I never give up."

"Then get to the water! That river joins the Jorg." His ears pricked around towards the sound of furious clicking. "Turn around and go find another way out! Trust the water. The vishwa can't swim."

"Neither can I!"

"You'll think of something!" Then he was shoving her behind a rock, directly in a beam of light. Two more vishwa popped into view like cockroaches. She watched, her jaw in a tremor, as he pressed the dagger into her hand. Then he sprinted out, drawing the vishwa after him and leaving her hidden in the light they so abhorred. Leaving her just like Thresh had! This couldn't be happening!