Chapter 12

It was night, the sky only lit up with the shining brilliance of the full moon above and the sparkling stars. It was cold as the winter winds blew harshly through the ice and snow, when all of a sudden, the winds became even harsher.

Built near the edge of a large cliff of ice and snow, a village stood tall and proud with the symbol of the Water Tribe on the front of the wall that kept them protected from the war outside. In the largest building of the village, the chief of the village lay sleeping in his bed alone. His village was at peace for the time being, but then... something happened this very night. Something that would put the chief on edge for many more years.

During the night, as soon as the full moon has risen to its peak in the darkened sky, the chief woken up when he felt that the room was getting much warmer than before. He woke up from his much warmer bed and sat up against the headboard, his vision quickly becoming clear from the sleepiness and seeing something he could have never imagined to be real.

It was a glowing light that shone with the same colors as the bright yellow sun, but around the edges the light was completely white just like the snow that fell outside. The chief was surprised, even more so when the light gained the figure of what seemed to be a young child.

"Father?" A small voice said from the bedroom door called out to the chief. The man looked past the strange shining figure and saw his young daughter standing there. She was gift from the spirits of the moon and ocean themselves. A little girl that was said to die when she was only an infant, and yet the spirit of the moon saved her life by giving it a part of its own life to the baby girl.

However, it changed the little girl. Her black hair turned white and she was naturally drawn to the moon, staring at it almost every night since she was able to walk. Her mother gave her the name Yue, in honor of the moon that saved her life.

Yue stared at her father, then looked back at the shining light in between them. The light turned to face the young princess and floated over to her. The chief quickly jumped from his bed and raced to his daughter, picking her up in his arms and holding her tightly.

"Whatever spirit you are, leave us now!" The chief shouted and backed away from the light. Yue, however, was much more fascinated with the light and reached out her hand to touch it. The light gave off a soft chuckle and reached out its hand to touch Yue's.

As soon as their hands touched, Yue was filled with a warmth she could only feel when she was in the Spirit Oasis. The young princess smiled at the light as their hands separated and the light began to float across the floor and out the bedroom.

The chief was relieved that the light was leaving, but Yue tugged her father's collar and pointed at the light.

"Father, we should follow her." Yue said. The chief was surprised by what his daughter had told him, but he did as he daughter told him to and carried Yue to follow the strange light.

The light floated across the floor and all the out of their large home, leading them to the secret entrance to the Spirit Oasis. The light stopped by the wooden door that led to the Oasis and then waited for the chief and Yue to come. Once the father and daughter came to the door the light faded through the wood and the two followed opening the door.

They crossed the small bridge that led to the pond and saw the light floating over the water.

"Why have you led us here?" The chief asked setting his daughter down on the grass. Yue walked over to the edge of the pond and smiled at the light.

The light slowly became more clear, showing just a shadow of a face that both could tell was smiling at them.

"Child of the Moon, blessed by the great spirit Tui." The light said, its voice soft and gentle like a still flickering flame, "It is an honor to be in your presence. I have been wanting to meet you for some time now, ever since the Spirits have told me of a child that is much like the one you see before you."