Chapter 43: Sophie

I wiped away the tear sliding down my face, but as I walked out of the garden, I took a deep breath, and it felt like I could truly breathe. I leaned my head against the wall as I walked inside and paused. 

What now?

Fitz was...a big part of my life...and now it's over.

I laughed crazily as my eyes welled up with tears again. I sniffed and wiped my eyes before gathering my thoughts and walking towards my Dad's office. 

Once I got to the door I knocked.

Tap. Tap. Tap-tap—tap. Tap.

(I think I did that right? Tap/Knock it out and tell me if you recognize it)

My Dad's deep voice sounded through the door. "Come in." 

I twisted the knob and walked inside, the short heels of my shoes clicking on the floor with every step. 

"Hi Dad." 

He looked up and smiled at me before looking back down at his work as he responded, "Hey Kiddo." 

I smiled at the old nickname before clearing my throat and starting. 

"Look Dad, I think that we should send out a new search party and try to find Keefe. I know you don't really like 'That Boy'," I rolled my eyes. "But he's a member of the selection, and a member of the nobility, and-" 

"And you care about him." My dad interrupted with a knowing look.

I was tempted to deny it, but I just looked him straight in the eyes and nodded. He sighed and studied me, smile fading, before saying, 

"Sophie..." 

I heard that pity in his voice and my throat closed up. My eyes burned. 

"No. No. No no no. Please send one party. One. Please dad. He's going to die." I choked out.

My dad looked away. "He's just...not worth the amount of men. We need them here to protect us. And I know you care about That Boy-"

"From what??" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up. "When did the rebels—no, you know what, villians—ever attack the castle directly? FIND HIM." I cried, and I watched as my dad turned back to me, face set.

"They took you. I won't risk you again. And that's enough for me to reject your request. No."

"But—"

"No." 

With that one word from him, I walked out the door, but before I left, I hissed at him, "Coward."

Oooooooooh 💀 👻