CHAPTER THREE

"Can you tell me your name?" the EMT on scene questioned Angela while Stacy held some gauze to her wound.

Every single person in Rink-O-Mania had gathered around to watch it all unfold, including Emily and her siblings and friends (Jonathan and Argyle had arrived by this time and joined the crowd). Amber, Mike, and Will stood nearby, while Eleven sat at one of the tables, her leg bouncing anxiously while she quietly cried. Emily sat behind her, her legs pulled up to her chest, watching her sister with concern but unsure of whether or not to try to comfort her. She felt guilty just sitting there, but to tell the truth, she was too worried that she might startle Eleven or make her even more upset, possibly leading to another outburst.

"Um, Angela," Angela replied to the EMT, sniffling.

"Angela," the man repeated, nodding. "Do you know where you are, Angela?"

"Um, Rink- Rink-O-Mania."

"Rink-O-Mania. Very good. Now, where does it hurt, sweetie?"

"My head."

"Your head hurts?"

"And my nose. I can't breathe."

"Just try to take some deep breaths. Breathe slow for me, okay? That's it. I know it's a lot of blood, but you're going to be okay."

"I don't think so."

"I promise. Just need you to answer a few more questions, alright?"

"Okay."

Needless to say, after deciphering for themselves what had happened, Jonathan and Argyle rushed Amber, Mike, Will, Emily, and Eleven out of the building and out to Argyle's van so that they could go back to the Byers' house. It was mostly a silent ride, until Argyle took it upon himself to try to reassure Eleven.

"I know this may be, like, upsetting and shit," he began, "but that future prom queen is gonna be fine. I mean, it's just, like, rubber wheels."

"Plastic," Jonathan corrected him.

"Oh."

"Not like hard plastic. Just... just the soft kind."

"Totally. But you ever wonder why the wheels aren't wood, man? Or metal? Like so people don't get hurt when they get shmacked."

"Oh." Jonathan nodded in wonderment.

"Yeah. Because it happens more than you think, man. Roller-skate attacks."

"Man. Hey, at least it wasn't an ice skate."

"That nose would've been sliced clean off!"

Jonathan made a pained noise and covered his nose with his hands.

Argyle looked back at the kids in the back and said, "It could've been so much worse."

"So much worse," Jonathan agreed.

"Are you two aware that you are extremely unhelpful?" said Amber.