Chapter 8 | Redemption (Part 5)

The boat emerges from the tunnels and the group looks at the dead stormtroopers. They have their weapons ready in case any survived. Once they seen that none have, they relax slightly.

Suddenly an engine roars overhead, and a lone TIE fighter zooms towards them. Din immediately pulls Cordelia behind him in order to shield his family.

"Moff Gideon!" Cara shouts as they aim their blasters at the ship. They fire at the ship as it fires at the boat, but both miss and the ship retreats to make another pass.

"He missed!" Karga says.

"He won't next time." Din states.

"Our blasters won't take down a ship." Cordelia says.

"Let's make the baby do the magic hand thing." Karga says. Cordelia chuckles softly and looks down at the Child. "Come on, baby! Do the magic hand thing." He says, wiggling his fingers. The Child coos, raises his hand, and waves at Karga. He sighs as Cordelia laughs and kisses the top of the Child's head. "I'm out of ideas." 

"I'm not." Din says, holstering his blasters.

"Here he comes!" Cara warns. Din grabs his jetpack and attaches it to his back. Before he can take off, Cordelia moves in front of him and places her hand on his chest, over his heart.

"Be careful. The bacta is working, but you're still hurt." She says. He places his hand over hers and lowers his helmet for a quick Keldabe Kiss.

"I know. I'll be right back." He says. She nods and steps back.

Cara fires as Gideon approaches. Din activates his jetpack and flies into the air just before Gideon passes after firing at them. He attaches his line to the ship and hangs on as Gideon flies around. Cordelia clutches the Child closer to her chest as she watches Din.

He pulls himself to the ship and fires at the glass into the cockpit, but the glass won't break. Gideon lurches to the right and Din manages to hang on as he flies down in a spiral. He activates his charges and grabs one, but it falls from his hand before he can use it on the ship.

It explodes in the air behind the ship, alerting Gideon to his presence still on the ship. He spins the ship around, trying to dislodge Din. He stays on and attaches the next charge to the ship. He lets go and flies back, watching as the charge detonates and grounds the ship. The ship crashes into the ground with a loud boom.

Cordelia, Cara, and Karga wait on the ground while Din flies and lands near them.

"That was impressive, Mando. Very impressive." Karga says as they walk towards each other. "It looks like your Guild rates have just gone up." He says as they reach him. Cordelia passes the Child to Cara and hugs Din as tight as she can considering his wounds. He holds her back, the ache in his chest from leaving her disappearing.

"Any more stormtroopers?" Din asks.

"I think we cleaned up the town. I'm thinking of staying around just to be sure." Cara says. Cordelia pulls away enough to look at her.

"Really?" She asks.

"Well, why not?" Karga asks as Cara sets the Child on the ground. "Nevarro is a very fine planet. And now that the scum and villainy have been washed away, it's very respectable again."

"As a bounty hunter hive?" Din asks.

"Some of my favorite people are bounty hunters. And perhaps, this specimen of soldier might consider joining our ranks." He replies.

"Yeah. I've got some clerical concerns regarding my chain code." Cara says. Din looks down when he feels something on his foot and spots the Child, who stands on his foot, grabbing his leg.