Chap. 22

Marley's POV.

When I opened my eyes, I only saw white.

As I adjusted my vision, I saw I was in a hospital room. When I turned around, I saw myself sleeping in a hospital bed. I had a cast over my left arm. I also had tubes all around me.

Is this some kind of dream?

Suddenly, Cole appeared. His eyes were red and swollen, like he'd been crying.

"Cole!" I exclaimed as I ran to him. But when I hugged him, I went straight past him, like a ghost.

Was I dead?

He grabbed a chair and sat beside me. I sat on the edge of my bed, just by my feet and stared at him.

God, he's so beautiful.

"I'm sorry." He said as he burst into tears, "I am so sorry."

What was he sorry about?

What's happening?

"I love you more than I've ever loved anyone," He said in between cries, "God, Marley. It should've been me."

"I love you too, Cole." I whispered to myself.

Suddenly, a nurse came in, "Sorry, sir, visiting hours are over."

He wiped a tear from his cheek and nodded. "Take care of her." Cole whispered.

The nurse gave him a slight smile, "We will."

~

My parents left about fifteen minutes ago, and I was left alone with my unconscious self.

I still couldn't get over how freaky this was.

Suddenly, Dana came in. I smiled, he was such a good friend.

He closed the door.

"Hey, Mar," He said while adjusting his snapback, "You probably can't hear me right now, but I can pretend."

"I can hear you." I whispered.

"There's something I've wanted to tell you." He cleared his throat, "The day I sent you the text, it wasn't for Amanda, it was for you. Because, I love you, Marley. You're the first girl I've ever loved. And I know this is wrong, but it kills me to see you with Cole every day. It kills me."

I gasped, taking it all in.

I didn't know.

I suspected a crush, but nothing this big.

"So, I wrote you a song," He said fighting back the tears, "You may not hear this, but I hope you do."

He took out a guitar and started drumming the chords with his fingers. He looked nervous yet ready.

'We sit in bars and raise our drinks to growing old

Oh, I'm in love with you and you will never know,

But if I can't have you I want this life alone

Spare you the rising storms and let the rivers flow

You'll never know the endless nights, the rhyming of the rain

Or how it feels to fall behind and watch you call his name

Pack up and leave everything,

Don't you see what I can bring

Can't keep this beating heart at bay