Ambush

The next day of riding was extremely slow going. The path continued to be narrow and only got bumpier. The horses had to step warily so to not twist an ankle or break a shoe.

We eventually got off them and walked, leading the horses so our weight didn't make it harder for them. Well the boys led their horses, Story just plodded next to me; the lead was left dangling in the air below her.

Story's complains were endless. She hated walking and made plenty rude remarks about the other horses and how weak and incompetent they were. Every statement Story made, I just laughed and shook my head. I didn't mind walking quietly through the forest.

We only stopped once near a creek to let the horses drink and to give our feet a rest. Exhaustion washed over me and I plopped down at the bank of the creek, suddenly finding it difficult to keep my eyes open. I splashed water on my face in an attempt to wake me up.

I came down to the conclusion that it was not a good idea to stay up all night plotting your escapes from the palace; a fruitless night of planning at that.

I did, however, decide that the traders' route is the best way to escape. If I was followed, I could blend in easily into the crowds of the palace market. I'd wait a couple days and then sneak back into the stables to steal Story away. The problem was that I didn't remember how to get to the traders' corridor; I originally was just madly running, trying to find an exit. Not to mention that I did not know where the Witch King is hiding my parents' runes.

So I made a to-do list. First thing on the list was to find my parents runes, which should be fairly easy. All I'll need to do is wander the palace and feel the atmosphere for my parents' rune souls, which are incredibly distinct and familiar. Once I locate them I can figure out how to take them back. Should be easy, I thought as I sighed.

I chewed on my lip as I pushed the thoughts of my escape away and stood up. Kian made the call and we were back on the road again.

It wasn't until night fall that we stopped to set up camp. We did not make a fire though, because we were close to the Fiefdom and we didn't want them to anticipate our coming very much. So instead we passed around water and dried pieces of meat we packed for our journey. It was pretty much tasteless, but it was food.

Tomorrow will be the day we approach the thief Lord and his allegedly dangerous fief. I got giddy at the thought of getting my hands on some powerful runes, but then I remembered that I'd be forced to give them to Saar and to use them to his will. My mood turned sour and I rolled over to sleep.

***

At dawn everyone woke and begun to pack up camp, but instead of the usual happy, laughing mornings the boys had, they were all solemn and quiet. Brynley did not whistle as he readied his horse and Jhestan's deep chuckle did not rumble through the trees. The air buzzed with nervousness and the anxiety was tangible.

Everyone was nervous for what was to come today.

As we reached the edge of the forest, the path actually began to be less treacherous. So we were able to ride our horses and trot at a decent pace. Even so, Story still found reasons to gripe about the pace.

Geez, I snapped at Story as she mumbled another insult about the other horses. Would you give it a break? We're almost there anyways.

We would've been there a day ago if, Story began, but trailed off when the trees suddenly stopped.

The Schiff Forest is known for being the densest forest in all of Kainor. The trees were so close together that it was impossible to travel through some areas without have to climb the trees a little. However, it was also known for it uncanny abrupt stop. You knew it was the edge of the forest and not just a clearing because the line of trees went on it seemed like forever. The trees reached the horizon and then disappeared. Where the like of trees stopped, though, was so straight, it was like a knife cut off the rest of the forest; even the branches stopped at an invisible wall.