Chapter 44: Frontline Support

Two days after the end of the operation to assualt Irnetian resistance forces in Zov and the planned capture of the Kilculus and surrounding cities and towns, however, it ended in rather disappointing fashion. Still, massive amount of supplies are being loaded onto the frontline units after Gra Valkans' unsuccessful operation against the rebellious elements of the regenade Royal Army of Irnetia. Heavy cannons are also being moved farther inland for fire support, and for nearly two days, constant airstrikes was conducted on Zov and Kilculus regions, killing at least 700 more Irnetian personnels, in addition to the 1,200 who died in the battle two days prior.

Caesar and Raul opted for nonstop airstrikes to avoid another unexpected costly battles and to soften the resistance of Irnetian forces, accumulating at least 900 combat sorties within the two-day mission against the Irnetian positions.

The plans of Raul, with the support of Caesar, are smoothly sailing to end this pitiful resistance of Irnetia, but unfortunately, there's one thing that they never expected. A storm is forming on the northwestern seaboard of Mu and it's heading down south to Irnetia with heavy winds and scattered squalls throughout the western regions, making the visibility poorer than before and making the terrain of Irnetia wet, turning the jungle terrain towards the center of the country more muddy than before.

Thus, due to this unexpected situation, both high-ranking officials of two odd branches of the Gra Valkan Imperial Forces are at their wits' end. Should they proceed to attack while under in the stormy weather? Or delay it a week more? However, it was proven that the storm was too strong and Caesar was forced to pull his fleet out of Irnetia, and Raul ordered the cessation of aircraft activities of GVIAS and the army air wing until the duration of the stormy weather, 2 weeks later.

Muish-Leiforian District Border, June 1, 1640

It's been nearly two months since the 6-month ceasefire between Muish and Gra Valkan Forces went into effect, providing temporary peace along the over three-thousand-kilometer borderline between Gra Valkan-occupied Leifor and Mu.

However, the temporary peace is only an excuse for the intensified arms expansion and rapid fortifications of the borders of both belligerents in their anticipated second round of the battle four months later. The Gra Valkan Imperial Forces managed to allocate as many as 16 divisions and over two thousand aircraft on Leifor for this event to make sure there wouldn't be a third draw in the conflict against Mu. Many in the higher echelon of Gra Valkans didn't want a third time, especially on the Imperial army who got their ass handed to them in the second border conflict with Mu and got blamed by their rival, the Imperial navy due to their apparent sheer incompetence thus they lost, so they prepared and thoroughly equipped and conditioned their forces to push and annihilate the Muish.

Nevertheless, that's not the matter right now. The issue at hand is the mysterious sortie of the Muish Western Fleet's carrier squadron. The Gra Valkas Empire's diplomatic team is inquiring and trying to confirm the Muish side's intentions, making the situation on the border more tense than ever. After all, a single shot from either side could restart the border conflict, and everyone definitely knew that no one was going to give an inch or compromise like in the first and second conflicts without bleeding the other side out over in much longer period of time and potentially escalating into a full-fledged war. Additionally, for safety measures, both sides are allowed to have 20 guards each to escort the envoys and protect them just in case something goes wrong.

The meeting place was located in a deserted village on the border. It was a former Leiforian territory, but the villagers quickly ran towards the Muish to take refuge, sparing them from the possibility of being maltreated by their invaders and new rulers, as is what happened to all of the defeated nations of this world.