CHAPTER FIVE: Prove Your Worth

***(Y/N) POV***

"I'm blind. No, like, for real, man. I can't see. It's too bright."

I squinted as some guy with the most incredible legs I had ever seen, also known as Wire, nudged me further out onto the deck. The sun was a sight for sore eyes, literally, but at least it was warm.

"Deal with it." Wire replied with a huff, though he still guided me so I wouldn't trip and fall flat on my face. Once my eyes started to adjust, I could see the hulking blob which was no doubt Eustass Kid.

Well, at least I had a good run. Wish I'd stolen some fancier crap, but oh well. Goodbye, Paulie. Goodbye, Iceberg. Goodbye anybody else who gave a damn.

"It's your lucky day, you sneaky little bitch." Kid addressed me, a smirk stretching his painted lips. "I've decided you're gonna work off your life sentence. Aren't I the nicest?"

I had been expecting some screaming, a few punches, maybe a little stabbing, so his announcement really took me off guard.
"I, uh, wouldn't say nice, but I'm listening, Chief." I replied, hoarse from lack of water and basic human necessities.

His smirk dropped instantly, and I could tell he wanted nothing more than to kick my sorry ass into the ocean. Now that I was seeing him in the daylight, I found him to be far less intimidating than I had initially thought.

Sure, he was big, and obviously mean, but not terrifying. He had a kind of steampunk rockstar wannabe vibe about him, but it worked. Lizard print pants, motorcycle boots, slim bandolier, not the peak of fashion, but it suited him. I wanted to ask him when his eyebrows were due to return from war, but decided that probably wasn't going to help me in any way.

"We'll be reaching a mountain town by sunset. There's a significant Navy base situated in said town, which'll have a nice big cache of weapons." Kid went on to explain, beginning to pace as he spoke, rolling his hand as gesture. "I want you to get me the keys. You do that, I won't shove a wrench down your throat and rip it out your baby maker."

Yikes. Not my poor baby maker.

On any other day, that would have been a piece of cake, and I would've been happy to oblige in return for my life, but as I held up my useless wrist I tried to show him exactly why it was less than ideal.

"Listen, Kiddo, I wanna help you. I really do, but this is gonna make things a little difficult. Sure, I could still pull it off if I had the right equipment, but all my disguises and crap are back where you lifted me from." Motioning to myself, clad in Killer's dirty, spotted shirt and my ripped pants, I raised a brow. "Would you trust somebody dressed like they just escaped Impel Down?"

Pulling back his lip, Kid went to say something, but Killer stepped forward to diffuse before he had the chance.
"You're not exactly in any place to refuse, girl. If you're as good as your bounty claims you are, then it shouldn't be a problem. We can always throw you into something else to make you look less suspicious."

Glancing around at the Kid Pirates surrounding us, I very nearly scoffed. In what way could they expect to make me look less suspicious when they all looked like they'd crawled out from the heavy metal underground?

Returning my eyes to Kid's, unwavering and direct, I nodded once, despite my reservations.
"Alright. I guess it sounds better than being violated to death. I know I'm not exactly in any position to make demands, but if I do this, is there any chance you'd give me back my snail? It's the only thing I really care about."

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have told him that, watching a wicked grin spread across his face. Digging into his pocket, he pulled out my Paulie look-alike, tossing it up and down in his hand, teasing me.
"You mean this ugly piece of shit? I think I'll keep ahold of it for a while. If you do what I tell you to, maybe I'll let you use it every one in a while?"