8: I want to break free

"No way!" Alex argues with Steve as they wait outside Ms Kelly's house, "You realise she literally hates me right, bitch chased me into the toilets yesterday, ask Max if you want confirmation, she was there!" She said exasperatedly, turning to the ginger who nodded but rolled her eyes.

Steve looked at her confused, you know what, that can be talked about another time, they have a priority right now.

"C'mon Alex, please," Steve asked, just wanting to get to the end of this. "That gives you a good excuse, you could like, apologise for your behaviour and ask to talk now," he suggested.

"No, she's weird alright! She tries to get you to admit all of your secrets without you realising it! It's like some sick superpower!" she folded her arms in defiance, she couldn't think of a worse way to spend her day than with the counsellor, she just pried too much "I'm not waltzing in there and trauma dumping just to get some information on a dead cheerleader,"

"We never said you had to do that," Dustin argued with her, "You're seriously not gonna do it - you're gonna risk people's lives just because you don't want to talk to a woman who is literally just dong her job?" he looked at the girl annoyed as she rolled her eyes. Dustin stepped forward and sighed, "You know I'm missing the old Alex, who would jump into anything to protect her friends. All you do is get into trouble and act like nothing had any consequences."

"You know Dustin, I'm getting real sick of your voice and constant ridicule!" she said, turning to face him and glaring intently. It reminded Dustin of the of the older, popular Alex who was constantly getting into fights and would probably hit him. Well Alex gets into fights now but that isn't the point.

"Then start helping and stop acting like you don't care!" He argued back.

"Fucks sake," Max muttered, "I'll do it," she essentially yelled, slamming the car door and walking over to the woman's door as Alex and Dustin continued glaring at each other. Steve just pouted and whispered to himself, or maybe his car, it was unclear.

"I do care," Alex muttered to Dustin after a prolonged pause, "I just don't want everything to go back to how it was last year, for our lives to be ruined again," she let out a long sigh, "I was at my absolute worst last year and i swear to god, I just want to let us live like kids for one year."

"Yeah, i get that and all but if we don't who will, we are the only ones that know and understand this shit," Dustin says to her, leaving it as a rhetorical question, "So just pull your head out of your ass and stop being so selfish and help us!"

Steve's mouth dropped at his nerve and watched Alex closely as her hand balled into a fist, he was pretty sure she would punch him.

"Fuck you, Henderson," She said, Slamming Steve's door and then walking out of the car, trying to stop herself from punching the boy, instead taking her anger out on a tree. She slumped against it, a little way down the road from Steve's car.

"Dude, that got personal," Steve said to Dustin.

"I'm right though, it's like the girl she was since that Halloween was sucked away after we started high school, she needs to just sort out her priorities," Dustin argues, sliding himself forward into the passenger seat to talk with the older boy.

"Yeah but dude, you realise everything she has been through right, i mean last year i think she hit rock bottom," Steve said, his voice a little softer as he talks about his sister.