The Mad Scientist

" So as you know, our job is to map, study, and explore the older tunnels under Linava," Seamus said as he pointed at the large chalk map of the tunnels behind him." Lots of monsters lurk in those tunnels. We don't quite know how they all survive down there. Some of the scientist upstairs say that the monsters feed off of the Mana leaking out the pipes. I say they just eat each other. Who really knows."

" I was apart of some of those discussions. We did end up hypothesizing that they indeed do live off the Mana," Aleister interrupted as Seamus was about to begin the next part of his speech.

"All well in good. It doesn't really matter how they survive. As long as we stay alive down there," Seamus replied as he frowned slightly at being interrupted. " That brings me to my next subject. I'll assume neither of you have ever fought any of these creatures?"

Aleister shook his head.

"Actually last week I had to face off against an earth elemental. Though I didn't really fight it, I mostly ran away." Morgan answered.

"Well down in the tunnels you can't always run back to safety. Later today, I'll have each of you pick up some equipment that will help. Until then while we are down there try to stay behind me. After all I'm the Combat Specialist," Seamus said

Morgan and Aleister simply nodded and after explaining that their team would be going into the tunnels tomorrow. Seamus handed each of them a list of things to gather for the upcoming job. Morgan read his list and was confused on why he would need a few of the things on the list but didn't question it. Aleister simply placed the list in his notebook after looking it over. After describing a few of the monsters they might run into Seamus told them to go gather their gear and they would meet back in the department the next day.

"Have a good night guys and try and be here early tomorrow. I want you each to study the map. We will be going into section seven tomorrow. Morgan be ready to repair a few pipes," Seamus said as they opened the doors to leave.

Morgan and Aleister looked at each other grimly as they walked out of the door of the Exploration Department. Both were headed to a store outside of the Gnomish Piping Company to get their supplies.

" I hope we don't die down there," Aleister said as they walked into the streets of Linava.

"Me too. I just wish they would have just let me stay in the Engineering Department," Morgan replied.

The city streets were bustling with people. Many of the different races of Koruo lived in the city of Linava. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halfings, and many other different races traversed the city streets. The city was known for its diversity. Many people from different lands would come to Linava to start new lives in the accepting country of Valoria. Though Valoria was an accepting  nation, the lords of Valoria demanded many of the secret technological advancements coming out of Linava to be kept secret. Once a person lived in Linava it was hard to leave. Though few ever wanted to leave. 

" What do they even need an Alchemist for anyway?" Aleister asked as Morgan opened the door to the store for him.

"I don't know. Maybe your there to research how the subsystems work. I know I'm there to replace and repair piping to them," Morgan replied.

After spending about an hour in the shop, the two left with heavy backpacks on their backs. Both had barely managed to squeeze all the equipment they had bought into the bags.

"I hope the company is reimbursing us for all this stuff. I just spent my whole paycheck from last week," Morgan complained as he had to waddle down the street with the heavy pack.

"I don't know, but I live in the Gnomish quarter, I'll see you tomorrow," Aleister said as he turned down Tinkerer's Lane heading home.

Morgan waved a good bye and carried on heading to the lower quarter. He disliked living in the lower quarter, but it was the only quarter he could afford to live in. Besides that, his family lived nearby so he preferred to stay close to them incase something happened. As Morgan climbed the stairs leading to his small apartment, he nearly fell down the stairs as his pack caught him off balance. With a sigh of relief he made it into his apartment and set the pack on the floor.