Eighty-Two

[|]

Jackie's POV

I felt so different now that I knew I was pregnant. I started acting carefully, scared that something was going to go wrong with the child growing in my womb. I felt conflicted within myself too, a feeling that made me feel like my whole life has changed somehow.

It was a case where I had to choose options and anyone I chose would change something in the future, which is why I needed to speak to the women in my life before anything.

I had met my mother and cried to her, asking her if I did something wrong by getting pregnant early. She had said I didn't and told me that a child was a blessing and that I also had the right to abort it if I wanted. After our conversation, she showed me all the baby pictures she always carried with her in her wallet. It warmed my heart.

Now, I needed to hear from my best friend who was sitting on a chair, staring at me from across the room.

"Did you get the test done?" She asked and I exhaled.

"Yes and it says that I am pregnant," I replied and Maddy was awed.

"I'm so happy for you," Maddy said, smiling but when she saw I wasn't, she rose from the chair and came to my side. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know what to do, Maddy? Everything is happening so fast. One moment, I'm in a relationship, the next I'm getting pregnant. The one time I have sex, I get pregnant," I said and crossed my arms.

"I heard women don't usually get pregnant on their first sex if it was unprotected," Maddy said with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Tch. I counted the day I got pregnant and I was ovulating that week, so the chances of pregnancy were high. Besides, I had taken a morning-after pill late."

I walked over to the long window and leaned against it, staring down at the people walking downstairs on the road just over the fence of the apartment building.

"So, what is the problem?" Maddy asked, standing beside me. "Aren't you happy?"

"It's just that I'm scared. I'm nineteen, broke, and without an idea of what my future will be like. What if Lucas and I break up? What if Lucas isn't my happy ending? I'm scared of heartbreak. I love Lucas so much but what if our love won't take us someplace with a happy ending?" I asked.

This was the same thing I had told my mother and I was surprised how she accepted my relationship with Lucas even without meeting him.

"Jackie," Maddy said and took my hands. She squeezed it a bit and smiled. "I have known you to be someone who has always been careful with the things of life. You've gone through a lot and that has made you feel gated in some way. But, you need to understand that your life is different from the one it was months ago. You have a man who loves you, a man who is willing to sacrifice a lot for you. Listen, I know the kind of person Lucas was before he changed and I can promise you that the man that he is now will do everything to love and protect you."

Tears filled my eyes and I rolled them, stopping the tears from spilling. I suspected my pregnancy had something to do with me crying out of the blue.

"Jackie, even if you feel the two of you aren't going to reach that happily ever after you want, remember that you have me and Axel. Please, you have got to stop thinking this way and be positive. Think happy thoughts for once. You two are so in love with each other and are new to this," Maddy said and poked my nose, making me giggle. "Besides, I want to be an aunt. Imagine being a young and sexy aunt?"