Chapter Two: Padme and Obi-Wan [Part One]

PADME'S POV

I woke up feeling dazed and drained of all energy. I gasped to catch my breath and my eyes strained from the bright lights beaming from above. I heard a male's voice and my instincts took over.

"Anakin? Is that you?" I weakly reached out and my fingers brushed against a soft fabric.

"Padmé?"

My eyes finally adjusted and they looked upon  not my husband, but his master and my friend, Obi-Wan Kenobi. My eyes moved from his worn face to the white bundle in his arms, and there the memories flooded back to my mind.

Anakin...Twins...Our children...

"I thought I'd lost you." Obi-Wan sighed with relief. He then offered the baby to me to hold. "This is Luke. Your son."

"Luke..." I breathed and, with Obi-Wan's help, hugged my child to my chest. As our skin touched, a sense of happiness washed over me. "Oh, he's so beautiful..."

"And here's your daughter, Leia." Obi-Wan retrieved the baby girl from the nurse droid and knelt down so I was eye-level with them both. Leia was a lot fussier than her brother, but they were both perfect.

"Anakin..." I began sobbing uncontrollably embracing Luke tightly. I could hear Obi-Wan shushing softly to calm me, his comforting hand on my forehead. "It's okay. Everything is going to be okay."

"What am I going to do without him?" I cried. "He's out there...and he'll come for me. For them." I looked at Luke and Leia, then I met the Jedi's eyes. "Obi-Wan, he will come for them."

"I will help you." Obi-Wan said. "We will all have to go into hiding, and I will protect all of you, with my life. I promise."

"Yes..." I knew he was telling the truth. That, I was certain...Yes, Anakin was my true love, my secret that stabbed my heart at each and every beat, and my need to be open with. But when it came to trust...when it became a question of someone I truly, absolutely, no-doubt, could trust...was Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was the only one I trusted in the entire galaxy to protect me and my children.

Once I regained my strength, it was agreed I and my children were to be confirmed dead, so that Obi-Wan and I could disappear forever. A closed-casket, beautiful ceremony was held for me on Corusant while the Jedi and I slipped away, my children tucked underneath our oversized clothing, onto a ship and we escaped with ease. There was only one other person who knew I was alive with my children and Obi-Wan: my very good friend Senator Bail Organa...

"Communication will have to be limited." Bail sighed, hugging me tightly. "But this isn't goodbye, my friend." He then turned to the Jedi. "Please, look after her."

"I would give my life for her and the children." Obi-Wan bowed his head. I could tell in his eyes that he was afraid. We all were. It would be very difficult to hide from the Empire, but with Bail's help, we were able to receive modified chain codes and ship registration. Obi-Wan was no longer Obi-Wan Kenobi, nor was I Padmè Amidala...

"Where shall we go first?" Obi-Wan, or Ben, his chosen name. Tucked in a sling over his chest was baby Luke, snoozing away. In my arms, I held Leia, squirming in her swaddle.

"Somewhere we can lay low for awhile, not as inhabited." I sighed. I could see my reflection in the viewport. My dark-brown curls were braided down my back and pushed away from my hairline by a headband. I didn't wear any make-up nor jewels nor a lavish outfit. Instead, I was adorned with a thick cloak over a long-sleeved, white senatorial shirt tucked into white pants and grey boots. Obi-Wan wore his traditional Jedi robes over a tan tunic and dark pants. He had two lightsabers clipped to his belt. I knew one of them had belonged to Anakin...

"Perhaps, Sorgan..." Obi-Wan considered. "It's remote on the Outer Rim, but a nice farming community that we could possibly settle in for awhile?"

"It sounds nice." I nodded, but my tone didn't sound excited at all. Obi-Wan knew this, but only smiled, piloting the ship without any questions. Eventually, I grew tired. "I am going to lie down in the back."

"Of course." The Jedi nodded. Once I was there, I gently placed Leia in the pram near my bed and curled up on it. It was not a moment later I shut my eyes and the nightmares started...

————————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

Obi-Wan heard the screaming and instantly bolted for the back of the ship. Still supporting little Luke on his chest, he rushed through the panel-door. "Padmé! Padmé!"

"AHHHH!!!" The ex-senator had scrunched up her body, holding her head between her hands, her eyes squeezing shut. Obi-Wan set Luke next to his sister in the pram and then scooped Padmé upper body in his arms. Cradling and rocking Padmé helped calm her...her sobbing ceased into silent tears, her body sank into his embrace, and her eyes fluttered open.

"Obi-Wan..." she breathed.

"I'm here, it's alright." The Jedi shushed her, rubbing her arms.

Padmé blinked, comprehending where she was and whose arms she was swallowed in. This was the first time she had been held like this by another man other than Anakin. And yet, she felt safe...comfortable...and completely normal. In this moment, she was undeniably vulnerable, and, was putting her complete trust in her friend.

"You were dreaming of Anakin, weren't you?"

"I was."

"It's alright. It will take time."

Padmé nodded slowly and allowed herself to relax in Obi-Wan's arms. He cradled her even closer, resting his chin on her forehead. His eyes fell upon the twin infants. They stirred, but were asleep in peace. Holding Padmé, and seeing the children, it suddenly occurred to him what his new responsibilty truly entailed...

"You don't have to worry, Padmé." he breathed. "I will always put you and the children's best interests ahead of my own. I will give my life for you all. I promise, nothing and no one is going to harm you. Not while I'm around."

"I believe you." Padmé hummed, her face burying itself in his robes. "You knew, didn't you? The whole time?"

"Yes," Obi-Wan said. "I tried to stay blind to your relationship. Truly. I tried for both your sakes. Anakin had loved you since the day you met in that horrible, horrible junk shop on Tatooine. He—he never even tried to hide it." He scoffed. "I think, Anakin and I, we pretended I didn't know. And I was happy to, because it made him, and you, happy. You made him happy, when nothing else truly could."

Obi-Wan heard Padmé begin to weep again, and he hugged her tighter. "I don't say this to make you more upset."

"I know." Padmé sniffed. "Thank you, Obi-Wan. For allowing us to be happy."

"I cannot, and will not replace Anakin." Obi-Wan said. "But I will try to make you, and your children, happy, just the same."