Fifteen: Raymond

Fifteen

Our envy always lasts longer than the good fortune of those we envy
CCCCLXXVIII
Moral Reflections

I took the wet neon glasses off with a helpless sigh escaping from my lips as I shot the girl who'd splashed into the pool a questioning glance but she didn't seem to care.

"I'm sorry about that—my sister can be a brat." I heard a soft voice that came with the sweetest whiff of perfume beside me and I turned to find one of the most beautiful creatures I'd ever set my eyes on smiling next to me as she watched the pool with interest.

"She's just having a nice time— it's alright," I lied as I dabbed on the wet stain on my shirt with a soft smile on my face as I stole glances at the beautiful lady standing next to me. "She's your sister?" I asked in an attempt to start a conversation with her.

"Yes..." she faltered and lowered her Chanel sunshades and revealed the perfect caramel eyes for a second before covering it as a playful frown evident on her perfectly carved lips. "How don't you know that? How did you even get in anyway?" Her tone was more playful than aggressive but I knew she still demanded an answer.

"I'm with the magazine— we're supposed to cover the Coker...sis...ters..." I faltered before pushing my eyes wide open at the realization. "You're one of the sisters aren't you?" I asked with my head slightly bowed in mortification.

"Hi, I'm Tolani." She stretched a perfectly manicured hand out to me with a smile on her face. "There's no reason to be embarrassed— it happens. I had no idea Tiwa informed the media about her birthday party, I mean, who makes her birthday party into a headline?" She scoffed and I agreed with her but I kept that to myself.

"It happens... a lot," I repeated her exact words to her and she pointed to me while laughing and nodding in apprehension.

"I see what you did there." She smiled and adjusted her large Chanel sunglasses. I never liked glasses like this until now. It looked like it was meant for her, my Goodness she was beautiful! "So, are you going to tell me your name?" She asked while looking away and I immediately apologized for my lack of manners.

"I'm Raymond—Raymond Bashorun. I'm a photographer on weekends and journalist during the work week." I added and I felt satisfaction at her smile.

"I'm Tolani—Tolani Coker and I'm a luxury fashion stylist by day and a social media digital creator by life." She said and it took me a second to get the joke but I laughed anyway.

"You're an influencer? That's the rave these days isn't it?"

"You have a thing against us? Wait, let me guess—you think we're blockheads with nothing but pretty faces, iPhone, and LED lights uh?"

"Actually, I wouldn't have a job without people like you in existence," I gestured at my camera setup, "and, I don't think there's anything wrong with LED lights." I chuckled and I could've sworn that I heard her sigh in relief.

"Cool then...enjoy I guess." She said awkwardly and was on the verge of turning the leave when I stopped her.

"What are you doing right now?"

"Talking to a stranger?" She smirked.

"Do you mind if I take a couple of shots of you?"

"Uh...it depends," she pretended to be contemplating something.

"On what?"

"How good you are—and  if I'll make the front cover." She started to laugh and I spent seconds admiring the perfect features of her beautifully constructed face.

"I can't make promises about you appearing on the cover— that's the editor's job and she isn't a cupcake, but I can promise that you'll look good, very good if I might add."

"Great! Let's do this then!" She squealed and before I knew it, I was taking numerous photographs of her on every corner of the beach house asides from the fact that she was beautiful and easy on the eyes, she was also professional with poses and she knew her perfect angles.

I got candid shots of her sisters as well but they looked like they'd rather be having fun than posing around and so I only took what I could get but I already knew who the star was going to be.

"Do you have your shots?" Tolani walked up to me while I was packing my lenses up.

"Sure—it's a wrap!" I teased and she threw me a weak salute with her fore and middle fingers.

"Are you staying for the after-party?" She helped me with an easel and I said a word of appreciation.

"There's an after-party? Wasn't this..."

"I know right?" She rolled her eyes and told me about how she thought an after-party for a beach party was unnecessary,", but I just don't want to have to hang out with these kids all by myself." She gestured at the kids in the pool and I smiled.

"I'd really love to stay and babysit with you, but I've got a whole lot of pictures that need editing—thanks to you, but here's what I can do, I can pick you up for dinner tomorrow night and we can see a movie or you can tell me about your babysitting experience today; how about that?" I shrugged and thankfully, she smiled at my offer and gave me her phone number.

The door to my mother's room was opened when I got back and I could hear the wheezing sound of her snoring. I peeked into the room and my face fell at the sadness that was evident in her face even while she slept. I was still looking at her when she turned around and caught me gazing.

"I can smell you," She whispered with a smile on her face.

"I know," I smiled.

"How was it?"

"It went great."

"Are you ready for stage 2?"

"More than ever," I assured her and watched as her face went to the photograph of my kid sister, Hannah. "I'll avenge her, mother," I said with my eyes closed and I opened it to an empty bed. I was alone in the room. "I will avenge her."

Rate this book 1/10

And please...

Vote!

I've lost my former IG account to Internet scammers but I'm grateful for reasons I don't even understand. It was distracting and I'm glad to start afresh. Follow me now (cinmithewriter) on IG AND I'll follow back!

Please vote and leave comments.

And please tell your friends about this book because it's more than a book, it's a movement!

I've decided to use my voice to change things in my little ways--this is an attempt.

You can listen to me telling this story on my podcast (Middle Of The Night Stories With Cinmisola) and follow me up on IG (mnswcpodcast)