XXVIII

By the time Neal reached Wall Maria, he was hysterical. Mike and Hanji had camped out on the fortification, sharing tea when the Defence Titan grappled the buttress. Mike dropped his cup and moved to cut Neal out of the nape.

      Once expelled, Neal collapsed onto the Wall, panting.

     Hanji raised a torch to the decomposing mass and then adjusted their gaze towards the horizon, it was eerily quiet, "Neal. . .what happened?"

      His chest compressed, "We have to prepare ourselves for war."

      Mike sniffed, "What do you mean war?"

* * *

       The military had taken control of the royal palace. Each military banner plastered the walls to chorale the restless public. It was only a matter of time before the humans rose against the government—they wanted answers, they needed a leader that they could trust.

      The royal hall had been transformed into a meeting room. The plush red carpet leading to the vacant thrown was obstructed by the mahogany table, strewn with sketches, theories and evidence that had been gathered on every expedition. Erwin sat at the head, staring vacantly at the diagram of the original Nine. Keith was present as well, his boots resting on Neal's almanack. Neither man looked surprised upon Neal's entrance, but seeing him without Adria, clearly irked them.

       Mike lit the surrounding candles which provided no warmth.

       "Should I ask where Ms Yelts is?" Keith grimaced. "Or should I prepare my noose?"

       Neal didn't know where to start. He was unsure if it was appropriate to air Brant's secret. He didn't even know if Adria really aligned with her father's cause. He didn't know how deep Viktor's venom had penetrated her.

       He swallowed, "She. . .she's alive."

       "What state is she in?" Erwin's voice was quiet. He lowered the parchment and averted his eyes out towards the balcony. The same balcony where Zeke and Willy Tybur orchestrated the executions. "Did you see her?"

         Neal rested his palms against the end of the table and inhaled a deep breath, "I. . .I can't say for sure. I infiltrated the Marlean aristocracy and things don't seem to be as picturesque as I thought. Viktor is what Marley call a 'warrior', set on destroying us. He's been transferred the War Hammer Titan for this purpose. However, he doesn't seem to be trusted which is why he wouldn't let Adria out of his sight. She's he's shield—she's what Marley call Helos. A god or thing that's set to protect them against us."

        "Fucking brilliant," Keith palmed his forehead. "Humanities strongest duo are set on crushing us in our sleep."

      "No," Neal grit his teeth. "Whilst I never got to speak with her, there were more rumours. Marley keep a population of Eldians on their island to turn into the mindless Titans that we've fought for centuries. They're ostracised from society and are treated like animals. But Adria. . .she would go and feed them and attempt to humanise them. She never abandoned us. I strongly believe she's done what she could to survive over there, like embodying this Helos persona. I last saw her on their shores, she mentioned an assault on Paradis. Viktor was there too; he begged to come and fulfil his newfound purpose, but Adria refused. From my knowledge, she's on her way to the Walls now as we speak."

       The tendon in Erwin's jaw throbbed, "Do you think she'll genuinely conduct this assault?"

        "I don't know," Neal spread his hands. "But it's quite clear that our theories were right. Viktor has used Adria's existence to prolong his own life. He's expendable to Marley, Adria is what they want. She is worth every single Titan because she can control them. But since she abandoned him in Marley, there's no doubt that he'll somehow follow her here. That's what I'm scared of, we must be prepared. I learned a lot about the War Hammer in Marley and it's frightening."