Chapter 14

I hadn't moved from when I first entered the room. I simply watched as Mallory came around from his desk and closed the door behind me, even though he rarely had it closed on normal occasions. He came back around and sat in his desk chair, watching me with a smug smirk. He was already taking pleasure in my anger and confusion.

"Where is Louis?" I asked him first, worried as Louis should've been there by then. All he was doing was dropping the bags off at my apartment, which was about a five minute drive from the office in good New York traffic. It had been much longer than that, and traffic wasn't even bad. Mallory laughed, throwing his head back which would've given me a perfect shot at his neck if I had my knives. But those too were with Louis, so I was hopelessly outgunned. If Mallory knew that he'd laugh a bit more.

"You really do like him, still, he isn't here. And telling the truth, I don't know where he is. Perhaps someone around here does, but certainly not me. I've been waiting for you, thought you could help out with the virus. By now I'm sure you've heard it broke past our defenses. I could really use your help this time." he explained and it was my turn to laugh as I took a seat in one of the chairs across from him. His lies would be more amusing if I knew where Louis was.

"You don't really think I believe that, do you? I just went down to the CIA, and they have nothing on this viral attack you speak of. I really doubt that anyone does, except for the original attack in London. Somehow you've kept it under wraps this whole time; maybe you thought you could fix that by taking me off the case but clearly that didn't go so well for you. It's ironic how now you're asking me to help you out, don't you think?" I answered coldly. I wasn't in the mood to play games; I just wanted to get out of there so I could go look for Louis. But his words kept burning in the back of my mind and I knew I had to learn to trust him. I gave him my gun for God's sake, he better be able to handle himself.

Mallory sat and watched me for a moment, clicking one of his pens over and over again as we sat in silence.

"Louis was at your apartment twenty minutes ago. The car hasn't left the driveway, so I can assume he is still there. Don't accuse me of killing your precious boyfriend my dear, you'll know when I try to do that." his threat didn't get me past the fact that he had eyes on Louis. It was a frightening thought because me being here could end up determining Louis' fate, even if Mallory would be the one to call it in. Another reason I wanted to get the hell out of here.

"Okay, let's make a deal then, Mallory. I'm tired of your games and I'm sure you're just as tired of mine. You kill Louis, I will not only kill you personally, I will expose everything you have done and I will make sure MASK burns to the ground. There will be nothing left of you but a horrible, disgusting name not even worthy of a headstone for your cold body lying six feet under. You kill him, and I will end you."

Mallory smiled again as I kept my stare, glaring into his sharp, cold blue eyes. "And how will you do that, darling? How will you expose me? What information do you possess- what proof do you have? Please, enlighten me."

I didn't hesitate to answer him back for I knew exactly what he had done. "It's your virus. You had some doctor alter its programming to make it a weapon, and now you're using it against people. You killed Drew with it, and I'm sure he isn't the only one by now."

Mallory stood up and slowly moved over to the window facing the city, away from me. He was quiet, staring out at the city lights while I waited for him to respond.

"You're smart, Jancer, so I am going to explain this to you as fast as I can." Mallory turned back around to face me. "The virus is a hacker to the mind and body, controlled electronically through a microscopic chip. Slowly it alters the structure of ever cell in the body until finally the computer programmer tells it to completely terminate the person."