𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚋𝚕𝚎𝚖𝚜

𖠌

Imogen Halstead (age 16)
Word count: 1534
Tw: Toxic relationships

Imogen's POV

"I'm sixteen, jay! I'm not a kid anymore. You can't wrap me up in cotton wool forever!" I groan as I follow him into his room, pressing him for the tenth time today. He pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration and I know he's pissed at me, "y'know what? Fine. Go ahead. Date that boy. But I won't be there to comfort you when you realise that you messed up, because you should've just listened to me in the first place!" He turns around so abruptly I stay in the doorway out of shock. I roll my eyes as I walk away, there we go, I knew he'd cave eventually...

~

*three months later*

Maybe jay was right... Maybe I should've listened to him.  No, I definitely should've listened to him.  But of course I had to have my own way.  I've been dating Colby for three months now and at first things were great, but now he's a control freak.  I'm starting to hate being with him, and as much as I love him, I want out. But I'm probably just overthinking it, right? Like Colby says, I overthink too much...

"Where are you going?" I'm greeted with colbys voice as he sets his controller down. I look over my shoulder, "to the gym, thought I might as well go while I'm in the mood" I stand up. I grab my bag and my clothes to pack them away as he sucks in a deep breath, making me stop in my tracks, "I'm not sure if I like the leggings" he announces.  I place my hands on my hips, "why not? You've seen me in them before..." I reason.  He stands up, "who're you trying to impress?" He walks over to me.  I stand my ground, "I don't know what you mean..." I begin, "whatever, I've said my peace so you can go now" he walks away.  I frown, "no, if you've got a problem I'd rather fix it now than leave if you're unhappy" I follow him as he sits back down in his gaming chair. 

He shakes his head, "no I'm good, you can go" he waves me off. I sigh as he begins talking to his friends again. I leave his room with my things and leave the house, beginning my short walk to Antonio's gym. Once I lock my things away in the changing room I walk into the gym and hop on a treadmill, ready to sweat my doubts away. I'm sure he's just looking out for me...

            "Hey bite size..." I hear Antonio approach me.  I must've been so caught up in my pent up anger I didn't realise I was squeezing the tape so hard, "woah, something got you riled up?" He removes the object from my hand.  I shake my head, "nah I'm good, just school..." I smile weakly.  He smiles back, "well... I know boxing helps release anger, c'mon I'll join you" he nudges my arm, sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have him as a friend, uncle and mentor.

~

*one month later*

Me and Colby are currently sitting in a restaurant waiting to be served, and I'm thankful that he's in a good mood today.  I look up to see him glaring at the waitress walking over to us, "good evening, what can I get for you both today?" She smiles at us both.  Colby nods, "I'll have the pasta bake, please" he looks at me.  I smile, "uh, I think I'll have the lasagna..." I nod.  Colby puts his hand out, "she'll have the salad, you're allergic to cheese immy..." he shoots me a warning glare.  The waitress shoots us a small glare, "right, sorry I forgot. Yeah, I'll have the salad" I shrug.  Once the woman nods she walks away, leaving me confused.

           "I'm not allergic to cheese..." I lean forward.  He scoffs, "well I know that, but I already told you last week you should stop eating so much. A salad will do you good" he shrugs, sipping on his drink.  I sink into my seat a little, wow that stung.

           The rest of the dinner drags in.  Between me unwillingly eating the painfully plain salad in front of me, and Colby taunting his pasta in front of me, I want to crawl in a hole and die.  At first I thought he was doing these things to better me, but now I know he's doing it in spite. 

~

            When we leave the restaurant and head to the train station, we find a quiet area, and I decide to say my peace.  Once I'm aware that he's calm I strike, "I don't like what you did back there..." I fold my arms whilst my back is towards him.  I hear the music on his phone pause, "what did I do? Tell you how it is?" He scoffs.  I wince at his tone, "I should've been able to order what I wanted without feeling guilty or in the wrong" I stand my ground.  He stands up, "you'll thank me eventually" he snakes his arm around my waist.  I wriggle away from him, "no! I've had enough of this, Colby. I'm sick of feeling inferior when I'm around you. You're manipulative and I won't stay to find out how dangerous you can get" I glare at him coldly.

             "Oh, so I'm the problem?" He raises his voice and I'm thankful that it's empty on our platform.  I scoff, "well yeah, you're the one making unnecessary comments and being so controlling for no reason..." I begin, "you're the reason!" He yells and I wince.  He laughs and now I'm slightly uncomfortable, he's a damn psychopath.  He slowly walks over to me, "look, I just wanted an enjoyable night. That's it. But if you can't even communicate with me then this isn't gonna work anymore..." I begin, "shut the fuck up!" He practically screams, and I flinch, not expecting what just left his mouth.

             We stay silent for a few minutes as I feel the tears rolling down my face.  The train eventually rolls up and I'm the first one to step on, not even letting him lead me onto it.  I sit down in a one seated row and leave Colby to sit wherever he pleases.  Once I hear the doors close I look around to check where he's sitting, when I notice that he didn't get on the train.  As the train begins moving away I look out of the window to see Colby flipping me off, and I swear I've never felt more stupid in my life.  I need jay, even if he said he wouldn't be there when I realise he was right...

~

            It took around twenty minutes to get back to my part of Chicago on the trains, and I know jay and Will are gonna be pissed when they find out I took the train alone at this time of night, but what was I meant to do?

           I let myself into the house and notice that wills already at work since his jackets gone, but jays home and from the smell I know he's in the kitchen.  I throw my bag and jacket on the floor before moseying my way into the kitchen.  Jay looks over at me from where he stands and his face drops as I walk towards him.  I begin crying before I even walk to his arms and I know he's worried.  I bury my face into his chest as he turns the stove off to hug me back.

"Don't say I told you so..." I sob as he rubs my back soothingly. He sighs, "what did he do?" He enquires calmly.  I sit down, "he's a dick" I wipe my tears away, "I'll let that slide... now c'mon, tell me" he cups the side of my head as he sits down opposite me. I sniffle and sigh, "he's a control freak, never lets me do anything, or wear anything, or eat what I want. He made me order a stupid salad tonight, and I called him out for it. We argued and... I got the train back alone..." I look down.  His eyes widen, "he let you take the train back on your own?" He asks through a laugh of disbelief.  I sigh, "I'm sorry..." I keep my head down.  He lifts my head up with his hand, "it's not your fault... I just wish you listened to me when I warned you. You have all the time in the world to date, because of stupid boys like him..." he smiled sadly and I nod.

"I'm glad he's gone, he's an idiot. You see that now, right?" He adds. I nod, "yeah, and I'm sorry I didn't listen to you" I admit.  He nudged my arm, "I'm just trying to protect you, you know that. Besides, I'm always right" he sticks his nose in the air.  I smile and sigh, "I say we eat loads of ice cream and watch a Disney film" he suggests and I nod.  How do my brothers put up with me?