Chapter III: The Commencement

~.~

Encourage everyone you meet with a smile or compliment. Make them feel better when you leave their presence and they will always be glad to see you coming.

~.~

[July 19th, 2005 - Tuesday]

Ever since (Y/N)'s unforeseen encounter with Sano Manjiro, a respectable number of weeks had quickly passed. Since then, the bothersome blonde has been inexplicably leaving her be, never to be seen for weeks.

With this, it took (Y/N) some time to realize that it was for the best; she honestly couldn't be happier for his sudden disappearance. 

8:32. The clock read.

As of now, (Y/N) sulkily resided within her usual workspace, the mini-mart. But due to the late time, very few customers were showing up, thus allowing the teen to relax and unwind for just a short moment.

Upon lying back in a chair located behind her counter, (Y/N) allowed herself to exhale with relief. However, it wasn't long until her relaxation was to be consumed by the thoughts that were now rummaging through her brain.

She hadn't even realized how her newfound interaction with Sano Manjiro, or in this case, "Mikey", had left her annoyed. However, she also felt intrigued...?

'If he's this immature then that further increases my suspicion of him. After all, how the hell did 'future me' get mixed up with him to the point where he wanted to kill me?' She pondered, resting her arms behind her head.

That's when her eyes subconsciously closed as she revisualized Mikey's appearance; his smug smile, his stupid long hair, his chuckles. She remembered it all, and it made her gag. 

'That bastard is so childish. I'll be glad to never see him ever again.' She irks.

"This whole thing is stupid." (Y/N) murmured out loud, groaning rather roaringly; oblivious to whoever could've been listening. 

"Sleeping on the job again, Ms. Sumiko?" An irritated voice hissed; startling (Y/N) as she sat up with a gasp.

She had forgotten that her boss was in the store as well.

She is then met with an aggravated expression gifted by her superior as he withheld an unlit cigarette between his fingertips. "My time is up here, I'm heading home so, I'll leave the rest to you." He announced, walking away from the register with a scowl.

"Make sure to lock up the store when you leave, brat." He mandated, turning away to exit the mart. "...—And please stop all that muttering, you'll creep out the damn customers." He added; slamming the door behind him.

Now puzzled by the sudden startle, (Y/N) couldn't even say a word in retort. Nevertheless, she quietly flipped off the older male when she was certain that he was out of sight completely. 

Now alone, the teen gazed around the suffocating mini-mart, the way the lights flickered, and the way the air was almost suffocating. She hated this place, especially at night; it was creepy, and nothing but weirdos would show up this time of night.

But the worst part was how it would always get extremely chilly from time to time, preferably because of the broken thermostat.

But, once again, (Y/N) all of that to the side, leaning back in her chair with a soft groan.