108

" How do you even wear these ?" Sampoorna asked Bondita as they sat in Bondita's room. Sashwati lying peacefully next to them in Tapur's arms.

" I don't. I will just wear them in schools." Bondita replied

" And you broke the hook by not wearing it ?"

" I was trying them on so I get used to them." Bondita said as she stitched back the said hook to one of her bras.

" You got such plane ones." Sampoorna said disappointed.

" What do you mean plane ones ?"

" Or what ? They had such beautiful ones. Lace, net and pretty flowers. And such beautiful colours. And you got what ? This white and black and plane blue and..." She picked up the beige one Bondita put back after sewing " what even is this good for ?"

" They are much more comfortable than them. That is why I got these and not those almost transparent ones. What good are those ? What would I do with beautiful one's ? They were too expensive for a thing only I would see. It's not like someone is going to see it." She had liked those designs but they did seem pretty pointless.

" What do you mean only you would see ? Ofcourse someone else would see too."

" Didi !!!! " Bondita exclaimed. " What are you saying ?!! No one would see. I would be careful..." She still had the image of one bra dangling through her Pati Babu's finger intact. She glanced towards Tapur and even she was looking interested in the topic.

" Have you no brains ?" Bondita looked at Sampoorna blinking innocently at the accusations. " You won't let your husband see you..."

" No....!!!!" Bondita whispered forcefully so as to not wake Sashwati and kept her hands to her ears but they were yanked down by Sampoorna.

" How long are you going to behave like a child Bondita ?"

" It's not about being a child. I...I don't think it is any of his buisness to see me wearing that and...and I am sure he doesn't want to see me in that."

" You are sure ?"

" Yes."

" How ? Did you ask him ?" Tapur asked.

" No !! How can I...? I just know. He doesn't look twice at the saree I am wearing. What I am wearing underneath is the last of his concern. Besides I don't think men take interest..."

" I thought you were observant. Did you not notice men at the shop ?" Sampoorna asked.

" Yes. But... What..."

" But. What." Sampoorna mocked her. " They were there to buy it. For their wives."

" Sampoorna Didi." Tapur spoke curiously. " Why would a husband buy such things ?"

" Because he wants to see her in it." Sampoorna didn't know if she should be talking about it in front of an unmarried girl but Tapur was to be sixteen soon and Thakuma would have her married the very next day if possible. She should know these things. " Just like...you know...the favourite colour saree they would like to see on her. Or bangles or... even sometimes a gajra or itra..." Bondita went a little red at the mention of gajra. " Things like these."

" But... Didi..." Bondita said hesitantly playing with her bangles. " These are pretty innocent gifts. Not...not like a this..." She meant women undergarments ofcourse.

" But they are given with the same intension. He would like to see you in it."

Bondita relieved the whole moment with him in the kitchen. He had not said it in words but he had wanted to see her wearing his gajra ? Could it be he didn't come for water at all that day ? She could not deny how beautiful she felt in something given by him. " But...Didi...this is something entirely different."