Looking Forward To A Gloomy Summer

When Bagsy's eyes opened it was onto the growingly familiar gothically-arched ceiling of the infirmary. She wriggled her fingers and toes, feeling as though her limbs were sturdy once more, and not broken from exhaustion. Tentatively, in case there were some injuries that movement had yet to reveal, she sat herself up, propping her back in place with some pillows and making herself comfortable.

With an inspection of the bed to her right, Bagsy was relieved to see Mezrielda sleeping soundly. If she'd been sleeping in her coffin back in Vespite manner, Bagsy may have mistaken her friend's washed out complexion and the dark shading around her eyes as a sign she was dead, but here in the light of the infirmary she could tell Mezrielda was in recovery. She'd been through a lot – it was only natural her body was taking its time returning to normal. She had no doubt that the injuries inflicted by the Nuckelavee were infused with dark magic and would prove difficult to heal. Glancing at her own shoulder which still had three deep indented scars in it from the blood eyed beast, she lamented on the scrapes she and Mezrielda seemed to always get themselves into.

'You're awake,' Bontie's voice cut into Bagsy's thinking. Bontie had dried off and was now garbed in lilac, black and green witch's robes, with a fancy pointed hat perched neatly on her head. Her long, wavy hair was styled professionally in a low ponytail tied with glinting green twine. Unceremoniously, she chucked Bagsy's muggle torch onto the bed next to her. 'I believe this is yours.'

'You're alive,' Bagsy breathed, smiling, her eyes already watering. She'd been awake a few moments and already she was crying.

Bontie nodded stiffly. 'Yes. I assume Mortem spewed some lie about my murder at the hands of an inferno?' Bagsy just nodded. 'As I suspected. I am very much alive and, unlike whatever nonsense I'm sure Mortem fed you, the only inferno the Ministry know the location of are Winifred and Robin.' Bontie tutted in frustration. 'I had one of my allies, a fellow spy in the Ministry, keeping a close eye on Mortem. She alerted me when he was causing you trouble, but she failed to warn me Mortem was forming a plan to lock me in my office, so he could speak with you alone. I underestimated his craftiness, and her incompetence.' Bagsy just looked at her sister blankly. 'And yes, I did say spy,' Bontie confirmed. 'I'll keep things simple and, Bagsy, you must understand; this is highly sensitive information.' With a cautious examination of the infirmary, and a casting of a spell that conjured a bubble around the two of them, cutting off all sound from the outside world, Bontie turned back towards her. 'I've been spying on the Ministry for Professor Fitzsimmons. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact them since I was requested on the submerged – that's what we called that large ship. Letters in and out of the vessel are strictly prohibited. Once you're on board you're allowed no contact with the outside world unless given express permission.'

Not ready for all this information, Bagsy simply continued to nod.

Bontie didn't seem to notice the lost expression on her face and pushed onwards. 'The Nuckelavee is usually in Hogwarts lake. It acts as a form of defence from threats that could come through the water. It kept attacking the ship so we filled the lake with salt to force it away. That's why it was in the forbidden forest. It...' Bontie paused, looking down at her white knuckled hands as she composed herself. 'The salt was my idea. It wouldn't have been in the forest, and it wouldn't have attacked you and Mezrielda, if it weren't for me.' With a sharp breath, Bontie looked back up. 'I've spoken with Mortem. I have dirt on him, he has dirt on me. We're both keeping quiet for now. If he accuses you and Mezrielda of breaking the law, I'll accuse him of attempted child murder, so he isn't a concern. Yet.'

Something in Bagsy told her now was when the conversation was going to turn sour. Something on Bontie's expression was growing more and more grim.

Bontie stood up, walking over to the bed and looking stiffly down at her. 'Bagsyllia,' she began, Bagsy flinching, 'I told you not to get involved, and to stay away from Mr Mortem.'