Eighty-Five

[|]

The following day, I was coming back from the hospital when I heard my name being called. I raised an eyebrow at the familiar voice before I turned around to see who it was. I blinked at the sight of Clark, running toward me. I looked over my shoulder before walking to meet him at the start of the stairs leading to the apartment building.

"Hey," Clark said as he came to a stop in front of me.

"Hi," I responded, feeling awkward to be in his presence, knowing he had caused my best friend some mental stress and was a jerk for denying the pregnancy Maddy had for him.

"You still live here, right?" He asked and waved at the building behind me.

"Yeah," I replied, suspicion heavy in my voice. "Why'd you ask?"

Clark scratched his head and shrugged. He looked flushed for a moment before he sighed.

"Okay... The thing is, I messed up. I offended someone and it caused a serious problem and I'm looking for a way to have her forgive me. I don't know what she likes so I'm here to get her an apartment," he said, rubbing his arm.

I tilted my head back in shock, taking in his nervous posture.

"You offended someone and you want to buy her a house?"

Who did such a thing? Probably rich people. They are so weird.

"She kinda lives with me and we had a huge fight, I said a few things I wasn't supposed to and now she's angry with me. I think getting her something would be nice."

I had to chortle because he was hilarious.

"That's only going to come off as offensive, in a way. I mean, she lives with you and you argued with her. Now, you want to get her a house. Your gesture is nice but it's not passing a good signal across, Clark. It's almost as if you're telling her you're tired of her and want her out of your house. If this person is your friend or whatever, I don't think she'll appreciate it," I said and he looked to the side in thoughtful silence.

"I didn't think of that," Clark replied and laughed nervously. "Do you have any other idea? She's someone simple and like the opposite of... She's the opposite of Maddy."

When he mentioned Maddy's name, he said it with a straight face which made me remember I shouldn't be acting friendly with him when he had ruined his relationship with her.

"What does she like? She must like someone or something. So, get her a gift related to those," I said, trying to push my thoughts of his behavior away. I simply wanted to get away from him.

"You're right. She loves everything about Hollywood and all. Maybe I can get her something... Thank you, Jackie," Clark said with a soft smile on his face.

"Yeah, whatever. Hey, what was it you wanted to tell me? You can tell me now, I'm free to listen," I said and his shoulders squared.

"It's nothing. It was about this topic. I needed help with how to have a girl forgive me," Clark replied in a rushed voice.

I didn't believe him and just nodded my head, not wanting to have this conversation with him. I had to respect my friend by not giving him the green light to talk to me.

"Are you alright?"

Clark's question made me raise an eyebrow in confusion. I wanted to know where the random question came from.

"Why'd you ask?"

Clark pointed downward and I looked down. I glanced at his face and saw his eyes were on the hospital-printed plastic bag in my hand.

"That's from the hospital. Are you feeling well?" He asked and I smiled.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I only went to the hospital for a refill of my pills. I wasn't feeling too well; got beaten by the rain and got sick. It's all."

I couldn't trust Clark and besides we weren't that close so, he did not need to know that I was pregnant.

"Alright. Get well soon. So, I'll head out now. Thanks for helping," Clark said and backed away.

I waved at him and he waved back before turning around. I turned back around and walked up the stairs. As I got to the doors, they opened. I stopped at the sight of Andrea and stared in confusion.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to see you but you weren't around, both of you though," Andrea replied and approached me.

"What did you come here for?"

Andrea smiled. "I came to check up on you and what you thought about the information my father found."

"Well, you don't need to do that. Remember we aren't friends?"

"Jackie, I'm sorry for ever hurting you. It was wrong of me to do and I know you will never trust me. I will admit that I am still jealous of both of you. I am jealous of how Lucas loves and cares for you. I just wanted what he gave you and I tried to have him all to myself. I am still guilty of my behavior. I am never like this. So, forgive me. I don't care how long I keep on apologizing but I'll keep on apologizing. I hope you understand?"

I almost rolled my eyes at her words but seeing how genuine she was in her eyes, I forced a smile on my face. I still didn't trust her even though her father was helping on this case.

"You don't have to apologize every time, Andrea. Just prove yourself by helping us. We need more information on the whereabouts of those boys. We need to know where in Nigeria they are and how Ruth Hamilton is involved in this. We need a piece of concrete evidence to put them in jail. Ruth is minor but I'm sure there's a way she can suffer for what she did," I said in a serious tone, and Andrea's expression swapped from sad to concentrated.

"No problem. I've always wanted to be an investigator but my parents wanted me to study medicine I know a few things from learning from how my father worked. I'll also do my best while my dad does his professional best. I promise to give you your answers."

I smiled wider at her passion, making me feel better about her but still guarded. I exhaled and pointed my thumb at the doors beside me.

"I need to go now," I told her and she nodded her head.

"Sure. I'll call you when I have something new. Please, stay safe. From what my dad found, Ruth recently made some kind of transaction with one of those boys. Stay safe, Jackie," Andrea said and walked away.

"I just want to have a normal life with my baby and Lucas. When will I have peace?" I asked myself, feeling the weight of fear and worry occupy my body.

A/n: Clark has a story of his own though and you'll understand who he is talking about by the time the book is published.

Also, will Ruth be caught?