Chapter 29

‘Did he get hurt?’

That was the first thought that came to Ronée’s mind.

Surprised, Ronée reached for him with her hand, but Nabel’s movements were faster.

His hands moved to cover Ronée’s eyes but after glancing at his bloody gloves, he pulled out a handkerchief instead.

It was clean and unstained since it was in his front pocket.

Then, Nabel used it to cover Ronée’s eyes.

“―I don’t want you to see something like this.”

“Did you get hurt?”

Nabel shook his head at Ronée’s urgent question.

“……No.”

It was a deep voice. Ronée’s heart sank in a different sense. The heavy scent of blood eventually reached her nose.

“…Nabel.”

Ronée spoke in a small voice. She told him to not be a tyrant.

She didn’t want him to become a tyrant who harmed others without reason.

If too many people began to despise him and saw him as an enemy, he could not live happily. Just like her when she was in the mansion.

But on the other hand, she understood him.

Nabel was the emperor of the Western Empire, but Miltan’s power was so strong that even the palace was not safe yet.

So, he would have to be cruel.

Right. He was a tyrant.

A tyrant who must take control of his surroundings by showing blood and inciting fear if necessary.

“…Sister.”

Nabel’s deep voice rang again. They were the only two in the quiet corridor.

“You don’t like it when I hurt people, do you?”

He knew this based on her actions during the incident at the tower. Ronée poured herself into restoring the tower until she collapsed. Thanks to that, no one was hurt.

“There will be a few casualties.”

With those words, she accepted it, despite her own dislike for others being hurt.

“Are you disappointed?” A murky voice broke out.

“This is something I never wanted to show you, Sister,” Nabel continued.

That was why he took care of it while she was asleep.

The dark thoughts within him did not come out of his mouth.

“…No,” Ronée replied in a small voice. At that moment, she didn’t have any feelings of disappointment.

She felt heartbroken for Nabel.

“Have you been like this all along?”

“……?”

Although the white handkerchief prevented their gazes from meeting, they were still facing each other.

“For ten years…” Ronée’s small voice rang. After a moment of silence, she added, “You have been unhappy, too,”

‘I knew you were unhappy, but you were far more uncomfortable and miserable than I thought.’

Nabel used fear to control people because he rarely trusted anyone.

In other words, he was very lonely.