Chapter Two: The Elders

The elders didn't receive the news well at all.

"Absurd." Tyden chuckles.

Gillid makes no attempt to hide his anger. "Lies. Your little friend lies."

But it is Vaspen who considers my words and then ushers everyone, the little audience of fairies and creatures behind me, to be quiet before he speaks.

He sounds even more weary and exhausted. His light, the once proud red that surged so potently around his form, fails him.

"Diaval swears this is what he saw?"

"Yes." I reply with the upmost confidence.

"Maleficent, you are well aware that the war died with King Henry. His son, Stefan, has proven himself to be a more trustworthy ruler. Are you accusing us elders of poor judgement?"

"Perhaps." I say softly.

Diaval flutters his wings nervously on my right shoulder.

"Vaspen, can't you see? She doesn't care for our words. She will still seek to involve herself ." Gillid's light, a dark purple shade, rises and falls with his breaths of rage.

I always have thought of him like a storm cloud, ready to crackle lightning in an instant but of course his power dwindles as well. But he is right. It won't matter if I have their support or not, King Stefan deserves a fairies wrath.

Vaspen doesn't speak. He knows how I hate mortals.

"And why shouldn't I Gillid? These men think, like they always do, fairies power is of no consequence. They keep the Lessors on short leashes and do as the please with the land around them. Do I not reside in an castle that was destroyed by King Henry's army?"

Gillid's light surges again. "A castle you have been told repeatedly not to enter but still you disobey us."

"It is a reminder, Gillid, of what happens when we refuse to oppose man's greed."

"We must always sit outside the business of man, just as your father said. No matter how much we detest the blemishes of mortals and the choices they make we must remain neutral."

At Gillid's mention of my father i feel my gaze harden. A quiet shudder runs through me.

Vaspen interjects. "What exactly would you say to King Stefan if you decide to go this christening?"

Gillid and Tyden look towards Vaspen in surprise.

I smile. "I don't think there is much to say to the man, Vaspen. I think he deserves as surprise."

"She seeks to embarrass him infront of his court." Tyden can easily read my intention. "Your flames are growing Maleficent. I see your spite for man serves you well."

I barely change my expression to acknowledge his comment. "Why, thank you, Tyden. If only we all embraced our hatred, then perhaps man wouldn't be so boastful of true loves kiss being the most powerful thing on earth."

The elders say nothing. The fairies and creatures behind me too are silent.

"I came only to tell you, dear elders, of the situation at hand. Gillid is right, whether you support my stance does not matter. I will attend the christening tomorrow."

"I see." Vaspen says.

Gillid understands that I will have my way and brews, his light bitter and dark around him. He has given up but spares me a few words before I leave.

"Just remember, spiteful fairy, how you lost your wings."

I turn to give him one last glance, Diaval caws a warning at him, soon he will thank me. All of them will. I will make them all have pride in being fairies.

"Come, Diaval. We have a christening to attend."