Chapter 4

Sitting behind my desk, a footage of the meeting room where Secretary Ross is currently saying his monologue in front of them playing on the hologram screen. 

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." He said. 

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Romanoff asked.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He replied.

As he activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen.

Exhaling a sigh as Lynn quietly entered my office holding a tray, handing me a gold pill, a medicine I've been taking ever since I woke up to relieve my headaches. Quickly swallowing it, accepting the water, and gulping the liquid. 

Lynn excused himself and left after I took the pill. I continued to listen to them, my eyes darting back at the screen showcasing the casualties that happened in Lagos.

"Okay. That's enough." Rogers said. 

Secretary Ross nods to an aide and the images disappear. My thumb caresses my lips as I watch them.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He stated, placed a thick document on the desk and passed it to Maximoff. 

"This is more fun." I mumbled, licking my lips and chuckled. 

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Secretary Ross said.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Rogers replied.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where she is right now?" Secretary Ross asked, earning glares from everyone.

"Do not ever mention her, we're still finding her. Someone took her away from us and we will find her." Stark answered. 

"There'd be always consequences, Stark. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." He said, pointing at the document.

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodes stated. 

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Secretary Ross replied, "Talk it over." He added. 

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Romanoff asked. 

"Then you retire." Secretary Ross answered. 

Snapping my fingers as the screen disappeared, leaning forward as I tapped my finger on my desk, a smile appeared on my lips.

"Different opinions. Soon, fractions will happen. Conflicts. Destroying each of them." I mumbled. 

"Everything is going according to our plan." Frederick said as I nodded my head. 

"Who do you think will win?" I asked as our eyes met, earning a kiss on my temple.