Chapter 35

"I'm not exactly human." Kaya announced. At this moment, everyone's interests were piqued, they'd suspected it but they never thought the thief would admit it.

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?" Jean asked.

"I look human, act human and talk your language, but I'm actually something called a ghoul." Immediately, Mikasa dropped the bucket she'd been carrying towards Armin, she knew something, and Kaya could tell.

"My father told me an old folks tale about ghouls, I didn't know they were real." The ravenette put her arm out in front of Eren and used her free hand to clench her weapon.

"If I wanted you dead then I'd have done it already. You can't kill me with weapons like that, that's why when you attacked me in the chapel, I caught the blade."

"Tell me, is it true?" Mikasa asked, fear in her eyes. "You know what I'm talking about."

Kaya looked at Levi, Mikasa had figured her out and now raised a question that she couldn't avoid. Judging by her increased heart rate, Mikasa already knew the answer to her question. The captain intertwined his hand within the ghouls, the act alone allowed the squad to know the intensity of the situation. Kaya took a deep breath, she had to do this, even if they did end up hating her. Her identity couldn't be avoided any longer, the time was now.

"It's true. I can't control it but I can try and maintain the urge by eating regularly enough. Previously, I tried to survive on the bare minimum, but you all saw how that turned out on our trip to the underground, right?" Kaya explained, Mikasa's heart rate slowed from its panicked rate, maybe there was hope after all.

However, realisation struck Armin like lighting, a hand went around his mouth as he recalled the event. Everything was piecing together in his mind, dots were connecting and to him, everything became clearer. He remembered how Kaya dived towards Connie with teeth bared and red glowing eyes, at first he thought he was seeing things, but now he knew the truth.

"In the underground." Armin began. "You tried to eat Connie, didn't you?" The other scouts gasped at his assumption, Kaya only nodded.

"I tried to fight it, but in the end, I lost. I'm so sorry." Her gaze was fixed towards the ground. Everyone was scared out of their minds, no one knew what to say, nor what to do. They feared that if they made the wrong move then the ghoul could've easily overpowered them.

"You're acting as though she hasn't saved each of your lives more than she's put them in danger." Levi began, bringing the attention towards him. "When Eren was kidnapped by Annie, Kaya saved both Mikasa and Eren. When Utgard was attacked, she saved Ymir and Historia. During the mission to bring back Eren, she saved Jean, Armin, Erwin and countless more. She even went through the trouble to save Connie instead of chasing the cart just earlier."

The statement alone made all the squad feel a sense of guilt, however, it impacted Eren more than the others. In every situation mentioned, Kaya had saved Eren, and although the two had many differences, he could relate to her in ways the others wouldn't understand.

"What I've gathered is that you don't have a choice, right?" Jean was first to speak.

Kaya nodded, happy that this might be a key point in their understanding. "I can't stomach human food, or anything that isn't, you know. My body just refuses it, spits it back out. Not only that, but it weakens me immensely."

"The legend said that ghouls only feed on the pure. In other words, children." Mikasa accused, Kaya had no idea where that assumption came from but she had to shut it down before it got out of hand.

"Hell no, I don't know what voodoo book that came from but it should probably stay there. I only eat criminals, or fallen soldiers." She defended.

"In a way, you're kinda like me and Armin, only you were conscious. We didn't have a choice either." The shifter sympathised.